Thread: Perpetuating Weber Paranoia

Perpetuating Weber Paranoia

Having never done much with Webers, short of cleaning idle jets and the like, it was a bit intimidating to setup from scratch my newly rebuilt 40IDA's. They are very complex devices. I had gathered a number of references over the years on tuning and synching and these were invaluable. All references recite the same basic procedure, although some much more clearly than others. One of the best is from a guy named "T Bird" on the Pelican BBS (not sure who he is or if he even posts anymore?)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rbin+and+weber

Another good one is this PMO info posted on Rennlist:

http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs/

Anyway, the first thing I did was set up my linkage. I soon realized that this is one of THE most critical elements of proper set up. In doing so, I discovered that my throttle plates had been opening only about 85%!! My car has always run good (slightly faster than a stock 2.4S) so I never really had a reason to check my linkage. Well, anybody with Webers - go out and check your throttle plates now! I had to adjust the screw under the throttle pedal nearly 1/2 inch to get them to open all the way. I also found several other minor alignment issues in the linkage that were easily solved.

Note to Midwest Bretheren - based upon a long shakedown run today, you may find my car to be significantly quicker this year than in years past .....

The rest of the tuning procedure went very smooth. It's something that just takes a lot of patience and a lot of adjusting and readjusting and re-readjusting. I think I can still fine tune them some more to get them perfect for how I like to drive. But it's fun now, not frustrating or intimidating at all.

The end result (with my new Series 900 watershields) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congrats Curt!

Must feel good to have your new-found confidence with a very important part of your car.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thanks. It really does feel good to know I could repair these on the side of the road if I ever needed to.

Weber carbs.

Hello: That is the great thing about the Weber carbs, once you have worked on them you get to know how to fix your problems. With MFI it is a different story sometimes. I once helped out a stranded MFI car that just stopped running. The owner checked most normal stuff ignition, empty fuel tank, fuel supply pump etc. It ended up that the drive belt broke for the MFI mechanical pump. Good thing you found the part throttle opening since it will give you some more power. You may also check your squirter pump volume side to side and use some larger main venturis to get even more power. Thanks Eric

Curt, very nice!

Who did the work on them for you or did you rebuild them yourself? Can you feel any difference at idle?
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

Bieker Engineering rebuilt them (just under $1000). Nice work. Big difference at idle. Very smooth. Prior to rebuilding, the throttle shafts were fairly worn and would 'spit' intermittently during idle.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer

Note to Midwest Bretheren - based upon a long shakedown run today, you may find my car to be significantly quicker this year than in years past .....

Oh great!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439