Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European L Specs and Pictures Sought

European L Specs and Pictures Sought

I am getting ready to restore my orange 68L factory Race car. It is an L but not like the USA L. It was delivered to the US as a racecar and was done to a European spec L so I think. I am hoping someone out there has a rest of world/European L that could show some pictures of the interior and exterior trim. My car is trimmed more like a T and this is what I think is right but I want to be accurate in the restoration. I especially need pictures of the rear bumpers and carpet, headliner and door and dash trim. Thanks guys.

Best,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman
    I am getting ready to restore my orange 68L factory Race car. It is an L but not like the USA L. It was delivered to the US as a racecar and was done to a European spec L so I think. I am hoping someone out there has a rest of world/European L that could show some pictures of the interior and exterior trim. My car is trimmed more like a T and this is what I think is right but I want to be accurate in the restoration. I especially need pictures of the rear bumpers and carpet, headliner and door and dash trim. Thanks guys.
    I'll dig the books out tomorrow - but from memory the L didn't come with any external differences. The dash was covered in an 'elephant hide' style material rather than basket weave and the carpet was a higher quality - but I may be wrong

p
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Wink 1968 L

My first 911 was a "L". I will dig out some photos and put them on the net. What I remember was:
    -simplified dials for oil and gas.
    -Writing on dials was not green but white
    -intergrated speaker with holes in dash (not cutout).
    -new door handle
    -still quarter side windows
    -elephant hide trim on dash
    -simple push botton to open door from inside.
    Simple rounded botton below dash for the ventilation system.
    I loved that car....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

More than Original
    The 911L wether US or Euro had all the S goodies like trim, brakes, etc. I have a US 911L and would be happy to shoot some picture let me know what you need. How about some pics and details of the race car?

Here is some info i dug up a while back:

"There were also many diffrences between the U.S. and ROW (rest of the world) 911L. The ROW 911L lacked Dunlop S/P 57 tires, alloy wheels (Fuchs), front bumper guards, fresh air blower, leather cover steering wheel, fog lights, four-way emergency flasher, stabilizer bar rear, and the notorious smog pump; all standard on the U.S. version. The only thing feature the ROW L had that the U.S. version did not was a steering wheel lock."
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Quote Originally Posted by B D
    Here is some info i dug up a while back:

"There were also many diffrences between the U.S. and ROW (rest of the world) 911L. The ROW 911L lacked Dunlop S/P 57 tires, alloy wheels (Fuchs), front bumper guards, fresh air blower, leather cover steering wheel, fog lights, four-way emergency flasher, stabilizer bar rear, and the notorious smog pump; all standard on the U.S. version. The only thing feature the ROW L had that the U.S. version did not was a steering wheel lock."
    Not sure if I posted that a while ago, but it jibes with the information from a 1968 European price list that I have... there's also a mention of the Euro model L not having option 9235 stabilizer bar 15mm.

Here's the following prices from the price list:
    911T 125 hp $4,565
    911 US 148 hp $4,836
    911L Euro 148 hp $4,895
    911L US 148 hp $5,426
    911S Euro 180 hp $5,766

I assume the hp figures are din, rather than sae, or is that the other way around??

by the way....sport seats were $15.00 , but Blaupunkt Frankfurt was $189.00

regards,
    Eric

More than Original
    911T 125 hp $4,565
    911 US 148 hp $4,836
    911L Euro 148 hp $4,895
    911L US 148 hp $5,426
    911S Euro 180 hp $5,766
    These prices seem low in my memory, are these delaer cost vs. MSRP?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

This was my fathers retail price sheet, he was an independent importer of European cars around that time. 1968 was a big year for him....he had some excellent pricing on VW's, Porsche's and Mercedes, and also imported a few Volvo's, and Austin Healey's. His pricing was a bit better than the dealers msrp.....

Eric

I think it's the other way around (actually, I'm not sure ). But according to Brett Johnson's "Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" the DIN on a 1968 T was 110@5800, the L was 130@6100, and S was 160@6600. So SAE is higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    Not sure if I posted that a while ago, but it jibes with the information from a 1968 European price list that I have... there's also a mention of the Euro model L not having option 9235 stabilizer bar 15mm.

911T 125 hp $4,565
    911 US 148 hp $4,836
    911L Euro 148 hp $4,895
    911L US 148 hp $5,426
    911S Euro 180 hp $5,766

I assume the hp figures are din, rather than sae, or is that the other way around??

by the way....sport seats were $15.00 , but Blaupunkt Frankfurt was $189.00

regards,
    Eric
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera

Thanks guys. My big questions are on the deco trim which I beleive to be as on a T and the carpet also as on the T, thin perlon and lastly was there aluminum trims below the door caps or not? My car still has thin decos on the bumpers and the carpet was replaced as well as the headliner at one point AND it was a race car so any of it could have been changed. Since my car was built as a race car it had swaybars and a rally engine so the other info does not apply. Would love to see some pictures of a standard non USA L. Anyone? Bret I have pictures on my site http://www.Porsport.com Thanks again guys.

Don

Don,

We met in Hershey at the Parade last year- I was the Aussie at Hotel Hershey.

My ROW L still has original headlining, dash and doors. Carpets were replaced by a PO. Car was delivered to Melbourne Australia in December 1967.

There is aluminium trim below below the door caps..

Let me know what you want me to photograph and your email address by pm... so I don't need to worry about condensing the photos. You want the detail probably

Take care... and love those swb cars.

Justin Reed
    Sydney, Australia