Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Car magazine

European Car magazine

I've subscribed to this mag for several years and used to enjoy reading it. But I don't think I've actually read an article in the past year. It has slowly shifted from a 'grassroots' type magazine to a nearly 100% 'tuner' type magazine? I've got nothing against those who enjoy reading about $150,000+ Hamann M5's, Brabus Mercedes, EvoGT800TwinTurbo997s or whatever, but they've completely lost me!

Yeah, they lost me long ago. The Early 911S series of the late '90s was the pinnacle of that mag.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I used to read it when it was VW and Porsche in the early to mid eighties. I pick it up very rarely and usually only when there is a Porsche article. The other cars they cover aren't my thing.

You know what is a great mag: Motor Trend Classics. Check it out.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

912->911 conversion
    I subscribed for years and years and years and let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago. I picked it up the other day and concur, but also they were hard pressed to fill 90 pages? Ouch.

-Keith

And yet they had no "room" for a story on the upcoming RGruppe event or our trip out west.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I'm still a subscriber to EC because it meets my expectation.
    I subscribe to three magazines : EC, R&T and Excellence.
    Each is totally different but when i combine them, i get what i want.

You're right, EC is largely about european tuner cars and it has some technical articles. R&T has new car reviews and has the budget/reputation to do some nice comparisons. And then there's Excellence which has a nice focus.

EC has seen some style changes with the new Editor, Les Bidrawn, he's a Porsche & VW Mag guy from way back. Unfortunately it seems like they do have a tough time filling the pages as some issues are pretty thin. I'm not a fan when they cut an article in two and there's 20-30 pages in between.
    Early S Registry #913

I dropped it several years ago as well. Too tuner, young boy racer as well as too young boy excessive exotic oriented. They lost site of the classics and the fundamentals. I used to really enjoy their features on performance enhancements and how-to. Sigh.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au

Back issues of VW & Porsche and European Car

Guys,

Some of you know we're in the throws of a really big clean up...including culling some of our 1000s (yes literally) of magazines. I have back issues of VW & Porsche from 1980 thru 1991 and then the first 5 issues of European Car that I am happy (wanting ) to part with. If anyone wants any more info, please pm me. I know the post is a killer, but I am sure we could work something out if there are issues I have and you want.

BTW; I loved this mag too when it was VW & Porsche...and pretty much dropped it after the first few issues of Euro Car - just wasn't the same anymore .

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

In curiousity,
    Someone should contact their sales department pretending to be a potential advertiser and ask them for a breakdown of their demographics to see who it is exactly their audience is. I would guess that it's targeting flat bellies under 30 (kinda like what we all were back in the day), and hillbillies from Virginia (sorry Tom and Bobby ...

Okay... West Virginia!

"The Early 911S series of the late '90s was the pinnacle of that mag"

Does anybody have a link to these articles? I remember reading that series when I subscribed and it would be interesting to see how differently things are done today.

MAtt