Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown away by a Mitshibishi???

Blown away by a Mitshibishi???

Smith and I were on the way down I-5 in my 29k mile 88 930. We came across a Mitso/Evo. I was at about 80 when he came up beside me. Smith noticed he had some funky gages on the dash?????

I punched it and blew him away to about 120. He laid back in the weeds. From about 200 yards he punched it. I was ready, I shifted down to 3RD spooled up the Turbo and buried it.

We were even to 120 and then he blew me away. I hit just shy of 150 he must have been doing well over 160.

I rarely top the 100k mark, I felt it necessary to protect the German ego.

He kicked my ass. He must have flipped the Nitro Switch. I could not believe how fast that car went to 165.

Next time a see a Rice Wagon, I am going to act my age. Or at least save the embarrassment.

Joe,
    I know you are relating to 930's, but I used to have a 1993 3rd gen RX-7 and would overtake 993 (non-turbo) Porsches and pretty much all other non-turbo Porsches regularly. The RX-7 was a great car and handled very well, but didn't have the old school feel and charm of the early 911's that I have come to realize is not replaceable in a newer 911 or any other car I have driven - so far. It is pretty incredible how much performance you can get out of the newer rice burners for very little money, but the style of the 911 will still be lacking.

Some of those rice rockets can put out some serious HP for short peroids of time. Yes better to perserve your dignity than find out. Also a 930 has one hell of a lot of aerodynamic drag.
    Phil

dash board plaque?

Member:S Registry #864

You have been suckered/had, killed, and hung on the wall. A fine trophy, indeed.

You guys were kidding yourselves to begin with. A 930? Old 930's are not that fast to begin with. Nearly any of the new Porsches willl run circles around an early turbo.
    There is no Nitro, however there is Nitrous Oxide. My guess is that you were stomped on by "engine only" as the Mitsu's can put out a TON of power. Go to the import drags sometime and witness it. I've seen an AWD Mitsu do some serious quarter mile times that would have had you coming throught the lights about 3-4 seconds later.

In stop-light drags, you might as well go home. Most of these cars are capable of sub 5 second 0-60 times. You are dead meat in an old Turbo Porsche.

The local shop where I roost recently built a 2300 cc Honda motor that dyno'd at 475hp+; "All motor". No spray (NOS), no turbo and no BS.

In this case the money was a fraction of a 911 engine. These things are great fun to stomp someone who has a $100,000 car and attitude.
    Swallow your pride.

These folks have also have also built a twin turbo Supra running around that has 1,200hp at the wheels.

Sorry about your luck if you run into him.

So, watch your ass and be willing to admit you are outgunned because 9 times out of 10 you will be. This stuff is serious and the technology available to the guys running them makes our stuff look like a Model T.

Old 911's are dinosaurs compared to this stuff and the sooner you "get it" they better off you'll be. Realize that you have a car that is still very desireable almost 20 years after it was produced. It was a marvel of it's time but it's time as a predator has passed.

http://www.dragracingtv.com/sport-co...cing-misc.html

Choose the Laskey Honda vs. Subaru Performance car.

9.36/133 trap.

I believe the 3.3 turbos could muster a low 13 second run which was respectable but that was then, this is now.

Better luck next time, however, understand that in most states they confiscate cars caught racing on the public domain. You WILL lose your license for a LONG time and you may even become a guest of the "Gray Bar" Hotel. At a minimum the legal fees will hurt and your insurance company will "Deep-Six" you for good.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    Some of those rice rockets can put out some serious HP for short peroids of time.
    The "Fast and Furious" rice-rocket syndrome has resulted in some very radical tuning on those cars, with 2-liter engines putting out 800+ AWD HP. They are turning sub-10 second quarter mile times routinely without nitrous. Straightline performance is awesome, but I don't think the reliability is anything to write home about when you stress an engine like that, not to mention the drive trains.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

not to mention a new Z06 blowing the doors off a new GT3
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Well I would hardly consider a old 930 to be a slow car, from 100 mph up they are pretty stout until the aerodynamic drag starts to hurt. I just sold one that was 400 hp rocket but still it would not be a match for a tuned up rice rocket. Better to keep the racing on the track, not that I have ever been involved in any kind of indiscriminant stock light or highway racing.
    Phil

These Evos are turbocharged 4 bangers with water to air intercoolers, bone stock. Tuned, they are as fast as anything on the road. No 911 is going to beat one in speed, handling or any other category other than character, except MAYBE a tuned GT3. These Japanese cars are too light, AWD and make mad, mad power.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I have a Subaru WRX STI (a similar concept and direct competitor to the EVO), fairly heavily modified but at a reasonable cost, that puts down 340whp/340wtq on 91 octane and 380whp/410wtq on 110 race gas. A stock one makes 240/240 at the wheels. A stock 996TT on the same dyno is good for around 350whp. It makes this power reliably and all day long. On 110 race gas its frighteningly fast.

My STI is geared shorter and probably weighs a couple of pounds less than a 996TT. On track it will pull a 996TT, run with a GT2 and eats GT3s for lunch. All much to the dismay and sometimes disgust of the Porsche drivers. Over 130 the Porsches will probably take it, but thats fairly academic. The car also handles amazingly and is a raw little b@stard in a way new Porsches are not. A stock Japanese Spec STI recently circled the Ring sub 8 minutes on street tires.

Moral of the story is don't mess with the STIs or EVOs unless you're packing a chipped and big Turbo'd 993/996. They are a lot of fun (and pretty cheap too).

Joe, I see one of these cars in your future. Don't drive one...
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD