Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blown away by a Mitshibishi???

scargo70

I spent months deciding which of the two choices to buy. Read all I could get my hands on and drove both. I also had a chance to drive the STi on track. Yes the interior of the Evo is a little pedestrian, more so than the STi, however with all the other considerations like 0-60 time, suspension set-up, steering, slalom times, etc... the Evo always posted up better in every periodical I read. I came close to deciding on an STi anyway as this was to be, and now is my daily ride, but finally decided over the weekend that the purer of the two cars was the right choice for me. Evo IX!

So far so good. I have a couple hundred miles on the car since last night and every mile is better than the last.

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

I drove my buddy's 2005 Honda S2000 for the first time tonight. I was stunned by how similar the engine's character and sound are to a 2 liter 911! Everything comes in a rush at 5500 RPM and doesn't stop until 8K; a real hoot.

The good news: it didn't feel that much faster than an early 911. An MFI 2.2S would give it a serious run for its money in seat of the pants speed (much of it due to the 2.2S being a LOT lighter). Still, it is a car I would buy in a second as a daily driver after my experience. These cars may be faster than my 911, but we know the answer to the smile factor.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The new Civic Si is a great little car as well. Go-kart handling and good power. A friend (who is around 55) bought one. Great fun.

For an all around 10 it's still an EVO or STi.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    The new Civic Si is a great little car as well. Go-kart handling and good power. A friend (who is around 55) bought one. Great fun.

For an all around 10 it's still an EVO or STi.

Tom
    Too bad it is front wheel drive.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by creator8
    There is plenty cool about them. And any time you're up for it I'll race my STI with your GT3 for Pink Slips. Straight line, circuit, whatever. True story, I was coming out of the back bowl at Streets of Willow side by side with what I thought was a GT3. All day I'd had an easy pass and 3-4 car lengths on GT3s if I came out side by side with them. For some reason this time I'm staying even--then I saw it was a GT2 (the 450hp one...).

Both the EVO and STi's engineering is directly from their respective companies' Rally programs. I would also beg to differ on the looks. They ain't pretty but they are tough looking and purposeful. There's nothing on these cars not there for a reason. They have amazing motor sport heritage in many areas.

Yes the interior is kind of cheap especially on the EVO, but if it hadn't been for the $5k carbon fibre package on my 996 (the car I replaced with the STI) that would have been cheap looking too.

And yes, there are plenty of you "more mature" guys recognizing these cars for the genuine drivers cars they are.
    Don't take me too personal. While I might not be mature I honestly would not get in a Japanese car if you gave it to me. Not to say they are not great cars. I have been a German car junky my whole life. Started out with Jetta's and moved my way through the cycle. I think I have owned over 50 German cars and I am 36. I was a Subaru Salesman, There product is great there costumer service is second to none, there product is the safest on the road. When the WRX first came out is was way off there customer profile. Know we have hippie's getting pulled over at over a 100 on every freeway. Subaru converted there liberal target audience into sport purpose racers!!??

As far as the Gt3. You better look up the specs on the 07. You could probably kick my ass around the track but I would still race you pink slips, if I can pick the driver. The GT2 and GT3 guys your passing is because of your skill. Or they won't push the limit of there $100k car like you will in your Evo.

This whole discussion has changed my tune. I was looking into a track prepped Lotus. If these cars are this fast, it seems they would be great full time track cars for little $. Maybe I will peddle my 75 Carrera and go by a brand new one?????

EVO vs. STi -- an eternal question on the respective boards. As far as performance stock, they are within a half second either way of each other on most tracks and the winner depends on the nature of the track. The EVO probably has one of the best steering feels of any car ever. Its also easier to get more power out of the EVO motor cheaper. But the STi has a nicer interior, you can tune out the understeer (inherent to both cars) easier, and it has much more low end before the turbo kicks in. Daily driver I think the STi gets the nod. Track day toy, the EVO gets it slightly. It really comes down to which one smokes your boat more. You aren't going to go wrong with either.

Tom, you're right about steering the car at 10/10ths with the throttle. When you get it right, its a kick.

Bang for Buck. My car, or something close enough as it has a few expensive tricks on it, could be recreated for around $45-$50k and its a daily driver with 996 TT performance.

GT3 vs. Evo/STi -- firstly you're quoting a stock test. My car is not stock. I wouldn't claim that a stock STI would take a GT3. As far as driver goes, I was trying to illustrate a side by side drag situation--my STI will convincingly pull a GT3 and hang with a GT2. And at least with the GT3s I was driving with guys of similar skill.

To be clear, I'm not knocking any of the cars. Personally, a GT3 or even GT2 is on my list cars to get in the future. Ultimately of course they are in a different class overall to the "rice rockets". But on a pure performance level, as driver's cars and bang for the buck, you cannot beat them. They are just plain fun.

And the S2000 is another neat car. One of my guys on staff has one. He paid $16k for a good low mileage 2 year old car. The VTEC motor is something else, at least for the track. Not much going on up to 5k but then from 5k to 9k!!!! it moves and screams.

Its a good time again for new cars. There's some neat cars back out there.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

[QUOTE=creator8]EVO vs. STi --
    GT3 vs. Evo/STi -- firstly you're quoting a stock test. My car is not stock. I wouldn't claim that a stock STI would take a GT3. As far as driver goes, I was trying to illustrate a side by side drag situation--my STI will convincingly pull a GT3 and hang with a GT2. And at least with the GT3s I was driving with guys of similar skill.

What kind of HP are you getting out of that Beast. How much does it weight?
    It should be simple math. Power to weight usually will tell the tale.
    Does that Evo have traction control, if so can it be totally disarmed. Do you use it when you are blowing away the GT3's?

Joe,

We're in the same demo. My first car was Rabbit GTI. I like German cars, I've had a few also.

My STI (not EVO) can put down 390whp/400wtq but at the track with a little less boost I usually run it around 350whp. It weighs about 3300lbs. Not light. Its geared pretty short though.

There is no traction control or safety nets. The center diff is manually adjustable though.

As a track car. I'd do an EVO. I can put you in touch with right people to build one right.

I've been in the Sparco EVO, which though street legal, was fully track prepped. That was putting down 430whp and had Brembo full rally spec brake set up. It was insane! Could probably build something like that for sub $50k pretty easily or buy someone else's dream. There are plenty out there.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I'm curious what kind of life people are getting out the mechanicals like the motor and tranny. Word was Mitubishi was surfing the sites where any competion results were posted any cancelling warentees on those cars.

Win a Race

Mitsu or Subi to win at Le Mans? Daytona? Sebring? NO. Never. Anyone can build a car that's fast when there are no rules or guildlines to follow. Where are these cars in the big show? I've seen these guys at the Car and Driver Brock Yates event. They get left in the dust.
    A word to ricers.... get into IMSA or FIA sanctioned events and build a car to a set of rules. Compete against Porsche on a level playing field, then you can wear the King's crown.
    Until then...and no disrespect intended.

And on a side note.... did anyone notice Porsche stock at 942.00 a share?
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net