Thread: Thursday R Gruppe route proposal

Thursday R Gruppe route proposal

You have asked for a tentative route from the Los Angeles area to Santa Rosa for the R Gruppe meet. I came up with a fun combination of twisties, some wide open spaces, flat lands and mountains. There are gas stops along the way and there are possibilities for lunch in a few spots too. NOTE: mileage is approximate and it will vary a little. I used mapquest from hollister north to santa rosa, so if some of you have a better suggestion for this section please let me know

Here is what I came up with:
    Meet off Lake Hughes Road at Castaic 6:30- 7:00 am- There is a Denny's there 31724 Castaic Road 661 775 2689

7:30 am sharp- Leave Lake Hughes Road north on Highway 5 to Frazier Park exit 29 miles
    Left on FRazier Park Road (gas / rest stop available) and continue approx 20 miles till right turn towards Pine Mountain Club
    Continue thru Pine Mountain Club (expen$ive Texaco station available) onto Cerro Noroeste
    Continue on Cerro Noroeste to Highway 166 Approx 21 miles
    Right on 166 and continue to 33 Approx 9 miles
    Left onto 33 (this is Maricopa- gas/ rest stops available)
    Continue North on 33 to Highway 198 Approx 90 miles
    Total so far = approx 170

Right on Highway 198 - Chevron station for refuel .

Depending on how we are doing we may choose to eat lunch here. Fosters Freeze, Mc Donalds, local places. Great tri tip at the Chevron mini mart sandwich counter !

OPTION- You can choose to leave the intended route , travel east to highway 5 (approx 15 miles from coalinga) then up to Santa Rosa
    OR continue west on 198 to complete the "tour"

Highway 198 west to Highway 25 approx 25 miles

(NO services for 100 miles !)
    Right onto Highway 25 and continue to Hollister Approx 75 miles

Preferred Lunch Stop at a Drive in located in Hollister (address to be posted)

Hollister on 25 to Old Gilroy- Old Gilroy 15 miles

Get on Pacheco/ 152 going West towards Holsclaw Road- continue approx 1.6 miles

Merge onto 101 north- continue 33 miles

880 North (oakland) - continue 38 miles

980 E toward CA -24 / Walnut Creek- continue 1.4 miles

580 West towards SFO - continue 19.3 miles (some tolls apply- carry change)

101 North - continue 36.7 miles

CA-12 E towards Sonoma - continue 1.7 miles

LEFT onto Farmers Lane - continue 1 mile

LEFT onto Sonoma Highway / 4th street (.4 mile) You have arrived !
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Route Proposal

If I was not trailering up, I would follow Dave no matter where he wanted to go. If you do, HOLD ON AND PAY ATTENTION, you will have the THRILL OF YOUR LIFE ON THE DRIVE , and the roads will be outstanding If your idea of high RPM in 4th and 5th are not your idea of fun, maybe you should take the Freeway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Rather than hit 101 off 152, You might consider taking 152 all the way to HWY 1/Santa Cruz and catch a little seabreeze before hittin the valley. Mt Madonna at the summit is a nice place to stop and the twisties are nice. Drop into Watsonville, then take HWY1 N to 17 N up over the hill.

Or take Old Soquel/San Jose Road out of Soquel up the Santa Cruz Mountains (more really Scenic twisties) to the summit and hit 17 there. If you haven't had enough curves by then, bypass 17 and hit Bear Creek Road down the mountains on the other side. You eventually hit 17 again at the resovoir. At that time of day 17 is reverse commute and a nice drive although CHP are around. Drop out of the mountains in Los Gatos and 17 becomes 880 North about 10 miles south of the 880/ 101 exchange. The 152 thru 17 loop will add about 1 hr 45 min though.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

If anyone has a problem and needs help in the San Jose area, I will be available to assist. I have a large building to work in/or store if necessary. (408) 234-5868 I am heading up to Santa Rosa about noon on Friday.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

I would like to go up to Chico Cal. that week end to visit a freind, would it be OK if I meet up with you guys in LA and then tag along to Sonoma? My wife and I will be driving our 67 S.

all are welcome- bring a good attitude

looking at other possible routes from hollister up to avoid the 880 part. will post what we are thinking of.

i think that after all the twisties and less traveled roads before the hollister late lunch stop, we will all be "twist-eed" out. I thank you for the suggestions though- i am sure some of the other readers of this board will appreciate them also
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

bumpity bump bump

we have about 6 cars commited so far for thursday am leave- see directions on this thread above
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by TRE Cup
    580 West towards SFO - continue 19.3 miles (some tolls apply- carry change)

101 North - continue 36.7 miles
    $3 to go over the Bay Bridge heading to SFO
    $5 to go over the Golden Gate Bridge to SFO
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100