Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a car critiqued

Need a car critiqued

Would you guys please take a look at this car that was on eBay last week and give me input on what you see. I am going to look at the car tomorrow and would like some input before the trip. Please note the bid price is not the selling price, it is considerably higher.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/True-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
    Steve

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Looks like a solid car, a good driver. Nothing really jumps out as horribly wrong in the pics... anthough certainly not my idea of "true unmolested".

By the look of the oil on the exchangers, there are typical 911 oil leaks that may or may not be an easy fix (but could be lived with if not too bad). The front trim strip is not OEM since it is in 3 pieces. If you want to fix molestations like this, it can be expensive to find nice original quality parts (figure $800+ for a nice front OEM trim). I don't like the red seat pimping... I mean piping, very out of character for a longhood S... but it's a great excuse to get a pair of GT / Peter Z seats. The most important thing is checking for rust and getting a thorough PPI on mechanicals. I'd guess this car would EASILY need $7k thrown at it to make "right", not including an engine rebuild or paint work. I would consider this car, but figure that $7k into your offer unless you love it as is... with all it's true molestations (albeit minor ones).
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Another 73S (silver) went for around $35k a few weeks back (up in Seattle) I believe. It too was a driver that was in need of a refresh as this is. As an example my current S has $15k in receipts from the last owner just for the mechanics--a motor rebuild and miscellaneous odds and ends.

You need to factor in wheels ($3k??) which you really are going to have to refinish or replace, upholstery and carpet ($3k???) if you can't live with the pimping, I mean piping, and miscellaneous body work ($3k) to get it nicely presentable. Factor in another $10k for a full repaint at mininmum if you want it or its needed.

Yes, there's probably $7k to be spent immediately but you are going to spend the above at some point if you keep it. Interesting car though, and ultimately it is a matching numbers S that in really good shape is supposedly worth around $60k--if not now in the near future I believe (or hope!).

BTW: is this the car you are talking about driving across country? That could be an adventure.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Yes this is the car I am threatening to drive cross country. Like I said it is an adventure.

Let me add a twist. I can buy the red car for 35k, spend 7k more on it so for 42k I’m in a solid 73S driver (lets for the sake of argument assume the engine and gearbox are solid).

For 30+ I can by Bobby Smith’s beautifully done 73T with a hot rod motor that is on the classifieds now (see link).

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=10201

So at the end of the day (say two or three years from now) where do I stand?

Steve

The body paint colored mirror is a nice "original" touch.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The underside looks really honest. It's always nice to see a car that hasn't been tarted up for sale with a bunch of fresh undercoating and rattle can work.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

2 cars

Buy 'em both!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T
    Yes this is the car I am threatening to drive cross country. Like I said it is an adventure.

Let me add a twist. I can buy the red car for 35k, spend 7k more on it so for 42k I’m in a solid 73S driver (lets for the sake of argument assume the engine and gearbox are solid).

For 30+ I can by Bobby Smith’s beautifully done 73T with a hot rod motor that is on the classifieds now (see link).

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=10201

So at the end of the day (say two or three years from now) where do I stand?

Steve
    Steve,
    Hard to say where you will stand in a few years. From the looks of the red car, there is quite a bit of work to be done to get it in the "price range" nice
    S cars are commanding these days. I tend to live a bit more in the "now", that said if it were my money I'd buy Bobby's hot rod Targa.
    Instant early car gratification, get in , drive it, enjoy it.... now, not later !

Good luck
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

I think the car would have been a good deal had the reserve been met, but I am almsot certain the reserve was around $30K. Just my gut.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Coupe vs.Targa is a taste thing. Again, just judging by pics, I'd take Bobby's Targa...unless you just "gotta" have that S VIN plate.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)