Thread: 'Dead' Air Box Snorkels

'Dead' Air Box Snorkels

I notice some early longhood dead air boxes have what appears to be a sawed off snorkel which makes a very large opening prior to the air filter. Does this give any advantages whatsoever over the long snorkel (which I have)? I saw a company advertising a socalled carbon fibre short snorkel in Panorama a while back and was just curious.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I've wondered the same, and this is my supposition: the smaller the aperture, the less air you can get in the motor, thus why most were cut off in the past. My bet is that the tapered snorkel was for noise reflection to make the car pass noise restrictions. I'd bet the power differential would show up on a dyno, but only at the top of the rev range.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I'm thinking basically the same thing, but I don't have the cahoonies to saw off my original one. Might look for an extra to butcher in the name of experimentation.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Uncut snorkels are pretty rare nowadays. I'd buy the carbon set up and store the original for when you get old and want the car concours.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Have no fear....ain't choppin up mine!
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Snorkel.

Hello: What you should try is this. Do a 3rd gear run from 30mph to 60mph and see how long it takes. Remove the filter and snorkel and do another run and see what one is faster. I'm betting the open box will be faster (mine is). I have not tried the carbon look cover yet but it may be better still since it has a nice radius at the mouth. I've also seen some old pictures of race cars that have the snorkel cut and facing up towards the grill, but would hate to drive in the rain like that. Thanks Eric

A cheaper alternative would be to buy one already cut, but cut it further back. You could then shape the snorkel flush to the bottom of the airbox and taper the opening upward, thus using the top of the snorkel as a rain shield.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389