Thread: H1's question, HELP!

H1's question, HELP!

I feel a little foolish asking this but since I certainly don't want to mess up a nice set of H1's, here goes. I'm cleaning up my set and finally figured out how to disassemble them. My question concerns the trim ring which I would like to have rechromed. Can the adjustment screws be removed from the trim ring, and if so how? The screws other than the flexible one appear possible, maybe. But the flexible one has a phillips head on both ends so I don't see how it could be removed from the ring. Seems like it may have been fed through the ring and then crimped onto the flexible part. Also, would it be possible to have the ring rechromed with the screws still in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Try not to make me feel stupid but if that's not possible, I totally understand.

Thanks, John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

John, I recall a long thread on this on Pelican quite some time back, but my search skills must be poor, I couldn't find it...Maybe a post there would help?
    You would be risking the wrath of the "do a search" birds, though...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

John, I went through that a while ago. My chrome shop said it couldn't be done w/o risking ruining the flexible screw and assuring a good chrome where the screw goes through the ring, so I went ahead and cut the screw (in the non flexible part), and after re-chroming used a "barrel", threaded on both sides, to join the screw again, after that I took it to a jeweler who welded both ends together (so as to assure the barrel wouldn't move). The end result is not perfect if you have the H1s out, but perfect when installed, the adjustment works 100% and the rings look great.
    Henry

Thanks guys. The rings are in pretty good shape, just not perfect. I'll wait to see how they look next to the new paint and then decide. At least now I know how to do it.

Thanks again, John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver

John Boy:

I have a pretty nice set that I'd sell to you. Nobody else chime in here. John has a leg up on all of you combined. He's the guy that started me down this path fraught with expensive doo-dads and gadgets. I feel I owe him something (hah!).

John; come and visit Dr. Ben Dover.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jashford
    I feel a little foolish asking this but since I certainly don't want to mess up a nice set of H1's, here goes. I'm cleaning up my set and finally figured out how to disassemble them. My question concerns the trim ring which I would like to have rechromed. Can the adjustment screws be removed from the trim ring, and if so how? The screws other than the flexible one appear possible, maybe. But the flexible one has a phillips head on both ends so I don't see how it could be removed from the ring. Seems like it may have been fed through the ring and then crimped onto the flexible part. Also, would it be possible to have the ring rechromed with the screws still in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Try not to make me feel stupid but if that's not possible, I totally understand.

Thanks, John
    How bad is the plating? I believe that the rings are brass, so the chrome should recover well with simichrome or mercedes chrome polish. You may still be able to see some veins in the chrome in really bright sunlight, but usually chrome on brass comes back. The only insurmountable problem is if the chrome has weathered or worn off.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

John; come and visit Dr. Ben Dover.
    Tom, I might be willing to take a whippen. We should talk.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver

Check out this site. Hooboy, I'd hate to ask their prices though!

http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/index.htm
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have been meaning to do this for a while but now I am going to be crafting few sets of screws for H1s. Including the bits that fix them to the trim ring. Included will be the plastic bearing washer between the head of the screw and the ring, the rubber seal/spring, and the retainer.

The most practical way as mentioned is to solder a section to match the original screw length and the best way to reattach the flexible section needs to be determined. I hope to keep things as close to 100% original looking. But a DIY kit may not be able to be this was bit at least from the outside it would appear as such.

I am restoring a set of H1's over the next month so I should have this sorted soon.

If any interest let me know.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

H1 "Spareparts"

Hi Bob...I'm very interested in replacement screws...especially the looong(~4" - 5") screws with full length thread and "phillips" head....M3 or M4 thread I think?...
    Please sign me up...Thank's / Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314