Thread: Its all in the details...

Its all in the details...

In preparation for the RGruppe meet, I handed my recently acquired 73S over to Tony at TLG to have it gone through. The car is in absolute tip-top shape but there were just a couple of small things that weren't quite right.

Tony went through the car and picked up on them and fixed them. They included an incorrect throttle linkage, clutch cable problem, mismounted front sway bar (that caused an incredibly annoying squeaking sound), a slight stumble on acceleration, and then it needed a service. Just small niggling things but all together they were adding up to becoming very annoying and frustrating considering it was a "new" car to me. I also had him install a sport exhaust that I had just picked up.

I pulled up to pick the car up this morning and Marco (Tony's son) was just pulling up in my car. He was impressed with how good the car was feeling and I was excited to hear the deep rumble at idle and the rasp of the sport pipe when he revved it.

Immediately upon getting in the car it was like a different animal. The squeak that had been driving me to the point of almost not wanting to drive the car was gone. The throttle was light, smooth and linear and there was no stumble at 4k rpm. The car feels as tight and new as a 33 year old car can. And that sport exhaust sound is pure sex! I ran the car across LA on Sunset Blvd for a meeting today and it was a dream.

I tell you its amazing what the right touch does for these cars, and Tony has the touch. I can't wait for the run up to Sonoma next week.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I had the same experince with Montie at Redmond European up here. I dropped the car off, told him my complaints and said "make it better". Two days later and the car was transformed. You 3.6 guys won't be losing me in the twisties.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Similar experience here. Two weeks ago, my '73S 2.7 RS Spec was the demo car at Chris's German for the NW R Gruppe chapter tech-talk on properly adjusting MFI. Chris started by saying a good place to first check adjustments is to make sure all the throttle linkages are the same length to insure all are opening and closing equally. He started with the shortest ones, and sure enough, they were off by a bit. One adjustment here, affected one adjustment somewhere else, and on and on. He worked on the car for over an hour getting things in synch. He discussed what he was doing during each step and the relative importance. He was a gracious and very informative host. Hats off to Randy for putting this together. But back to the point...

When I drove the car home after Chris's expert touch, I experienced something I had never felt before - "SNAP" - full-on instant throttle response. OMG what a difference. I could not believe it. It felt like a different car. How many times have I had cars serviced, just to have them feel exactly the same when I picked them up? Not this one!

Moral to the story: if your MFI has not been properly set-up or it has been a while since it was setup, find a talented mechanic and you will not believe the difference!

You 3.6 guys still have nothing to fear.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick, you're just sandbagging.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389