Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about front oil cooler

Questions about front oil cooler

Guys,
    I am in the process of adding a front trombone cooler to my 1973 mfi 2.7 using pieces and parts collected over the years. To make sure I have it right, I'd like to look at a car that has a front oil cooler from the factory. So here are the questons:

1. What does the mounting bracket from thermostat to oil tank look like? It's NLA from Porsche so it looks like I have to fabricate one. Anybody got an extra FS?
    2. What/where is the corect placing for the three hard line hose brackets on the body? Everytime I start to drill a hole in the car my kid says that he needs extra therapy for the trauma. Therefore I want to get the placement right.
    3. Will there be some one with an original set up at Taj in Dayton this year that might allow me to crawl under their car? Kurt, does your car have an original plumbing set up?
    4. Is there a way to bench test the thermostat before I put it on the car or do I just install it and then feel for warm pipes when the engine heats up?

Thanks for the help.

John, proud member #322

My '78 SC has the factory trombone cooler. I won't be at Taj but could take some photos this weekend if you're interested.
    Dave Ebersole
    '78 SC
    Registry #873

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

oil cooler

Hi John,

Maybe this picture is helpful for your 1st question.

Regards,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Guys,
    Thanks for the help. Cees, your picture is great help. I am posting it to my garage wall.

John

Cees...

I have never seen one connected directly to the oil tank like yours...Is this a stock arrangement? If so what year was it done this way...very interesting way to do it...
    It looks like the same thermostat that is at the end of the hard oil lines infront of the right rear wheel like on the 73' and up...
    Do you have a wider shot of the area...

Thanks,

John

John,

The placement you mention (in front of the right rear tire) is for '74 and up...

Cees pic is right for a '73...

Porsche was 'sneaking up' on the problem of thermostat placement from the time they started running remote oil coolers... Almost every year was in a different place... until '74. It was either in the engine compartment, or by the exhaust until the '74 'G' series cars, and there it stayed for the duration, behind the right rear tire, out of the way of the heat and very accessible.

Here is a pic out of my '73 parts book...

#56 - 911.107.159.00 - Angular Bracket

Hope this helps,

Oh, BTW, my '73S came without a cooler, so when the time came I used an 'early radiator type' cooler with later '74-up thermo and lines....

Mine is definitely not correct ... but I feel it's probably the best of both worlds...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for the info Chuck...
    I knew the 69/70 had one inside the engine bay on the top of the tank but had never seen the one Cees has....I just thought they went from the 69 type to the 72 side tank and then the 74 later one...thanks for the diagrams. Something to learn every day on these cars..

Regards,

John

Hey John, I've got a bracket that is off the car right now. If you need measurements and pics let me know. Sorry don't have one for sale. Do you have #52 in Chuck's closeup? That piece is important, unless you don't mind oil spewing out.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Here is the best photo that I could find that shows the bracket points.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

bracket

John,

That bracket is stock on my '73 RS, you might not have seen the Z-shaped bracket before clamped on the pipe. If someone wants a blow up of the picture (840K), just let me know.

Rgds,

Cees