Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: eBay Sales History Thread - 911 Normal

Year: 1968
    VIN Number: 11880201
    Winning bid: US $26,600.00
    Sale date: Nov 05, 2009

"2 owner Porsche 1968 Targa Chassis 11880201 Engine #3281165 Trans 902/01 Paint Code 6809/p2002. This is a special order Tangerine with factory Zip-out Soft window . The 911 is Very nice orig condition.

Exterior.

Orig Painted 1 time Rust free accident free California car. This car has all orig panels no work preformed.

Engine.

Rebuilt Less than 10k to E spec and runs very strong. Just preformed full service.

Interior.

all orig and Very Nice. Just did head liner in Targa top and new Soft Window all factory Material (Perfect)"
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Year: 1965
    VIN Number: 301819
    Winning bid: US $14,600.00
    Sale date: Jan 17, 2010

"1965 Porsche 911 needs a new home, someone who can appreciate a diamond in the rough and needs a winter project. This historic 911 has all the original parts and paint color. We’ve had it since 1990 and it has only been driven a few times, it was manually started 10 years ago.

Car Specifications:

1965, porsche 911 serial number 301819 with 119,159 miles.

The car is in excellent shape structurally some minor dents on passenger side, missing headlight, driver side mirror, some minor interior repairs and rusted floor board.

The engine compartment has all original parts.

These 911’s have become quite collectible and have become good investments in recent years with excellent appreciation. The driving experience is something only an early 911 can provide, fun, fun, fun!"
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Year: 1967
    VIN Number: 306342
    Winning bid: US $32,300.00
    Sale date: Jan 27, 2010

"Porsche 1967 911 Sunroof Coupe Slate grey (6601) with Red leatherette/A With Books Records and Certificate of Authenticity

Exterior) Perfect Straight Factory color completely orig panels, Zero rust ever! Yes ever.The Sunroof is the early Power and manual crank also works perfect.

Interior)Orig and perfect.The front seats were redone due to softness over the years and the lower rears and headliner,Very nice

Engine) Rebuilt 2.7 with orig carbs and exhaust.Upgrades include oil fed tensioners and carrera valve covers and aluminum tensioner housings .Very dry and fast car about 200hp. 911 comes with 1967 911 aluminum engine also!

Transmission)Orig and perfect Limited slip.

Suspension)Orig with factory konis and new tires. This is a 2 owner Orig Southern CA car and is unrestored except for paint and rubber trim."
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Year: 1967
    VIN Number: 308405
    Winning bid: US $24,883.00
    Sale date: Mar 13, 2011

"This 911 Classic is in excellent condition both mechanically and body inside and out.

Hardly a scratch on it.

Always been garaged with a cover. Current owner has had it for 10 years. The 6 cylinder engine was rebuilt by previous owner. Current owner has babyed it, has driving it less that 1000 miles. Side Mirrors fold in. Michelan tires. 5 speed manual transmission. Smog except. 2 Sports Seats (vynle) Runs like a at 67 911 should."
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Year: 1968
    VIN Number: 11835460
    Winning bid: US $12,000.00
    Sale date: Mar 17, 2011

"Up for auction is a 1968 Porsche 911 Coupe Karmann USA, which I’ve owned since 1989. I am the third owner and I have reason to believe the car was initially registered in California although I purchased it in Vermont. This car has been lightly driven during my tenure (averaging less than 200 miles per year) and parked in a heated garaged during all but a few months of summer. The original 2.0L engine was rebuilt in 1989 by Scottsdale European of Scottsdale, Arizona. It has updated timing-chain tensioners and I opted for higher compression S pistons during the engine rebuild. Brake calipers, rotors and wheel bearings were rebuilt and/or replaced at that time, as was the fuel tank, fuel pump, starter, alternator and numerous other parts related to the reinstallation and tuning of the motor, which was performed by Pine Hill Automotive of Berwick, Maine. Pine Hill also rebuilt the Weber carbs in 1990, and the 5-speed transmission was rebuilt in 2005 by Alpine Autowerks of Calgary, Alberta. I'm in possession of all the receipts and can provide copies upon request.

I would say the car is in very good condition for its age, but it is not without flaws for the perfectionist or Porsche purist. I’ve used the car largely as a Sunday driver on days when good weather and the open road beckons, and I’ve regularly performed routine maintenance and made small improvements when the urge (or necessity) hit me. The car has an updated ignition system, and it sports after-market headers and exhaust. It does not rattle or squeak. It is a reliable, sturdy, straight driver with plenty of torque, and the motor absolutely sings at 5,200 rpm, hitting notes that are pure pleasure for the sports car enthusiast. In 2005 I got married and the car has been virtually idle since. My wife insists the car frightens her, even though I’ve driven it in a sedate fashion whether she was in the car or not.

Here are some of the imperfections you ought to consider before placing your bid: The car appears to be somewhat sun-baked resulting in cracked and pealing paint on the roof. For that matter, I would say that the car is need of a paint job. The vinyl dash exhibits some cracks related to sun damage. The roof liner is somewhat discolored and slightly cracked near the rear-window posts. The driver’s seat needs to be reupholstered. The carpet intended to cover the gear-shift hump is missing. The driver’s side front fender is somewhat misaligned. There is a small rust perforation near the passenger’s side rear taillight. The rear bumper cowl is somewhat disfigured and chipped. The rear window seal needs to be replaced. Because the engine is equipped with headers (not heater boxes), there is no heat available to the cabin compartment. The windshield washer tank and pump are missing. One of the CV boots is cracked. The radio is not original and nor are the door speakers. The clock does not accurately keep time and has been disconnected to save the battery. The speedometer does not work (it malfunctioned shortly after the transmission was rebuilt). The door pockets hang open.

I have tried to describe the car as accurately as possible, and will try to answer any question you may have. Please bear in mind that this 911 is not the coveted “L” version and it still requires attention. However, if you’re interested in a restoration project where much of the major work has already been completed, and you simply want to enjoy driving a classic German sports car, then perhaps this is the car for you. Feel free to call contact me through eBay for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Mar-11-11 at 09:53:04 PST, seller added the following information:

Due to some repeated questions from eBay members, I feel compelled to add some additional information: One reason I caution Porsche purists is that this car appears to have been a Sportomatic prior to being converted to a 5-speed, which occurred prior to my ownership. Indicators are the shift gate and shift knob are still configured for the Sportomatic transmission, the engine hood has three holes where the Sportomatic badge likely used to sit, and the chrome rims and flat-black rear-view mirror are consistent with the Sportomatic version of the 911.

Additionally, questions about rust have arisen, and I'll try to clarify the condition of the car in this respect as well as I can. The front of the car and the floor pans are essentially rust-free. There are no perforations around or near the battery tray, and all the suspension points are solid. There are two small areas in the passenger-side fender and fender well where rust appears to have been cut out and brazed with new sheet metal. I would say the repairs accounts for 6 or 7 sq. inches of material. Apart from the perforation near the passenger side rear taillight, the rear sheet metal appears to be in good condition. An area that may need more scrutiny, however, is the rear suspension points where the swing arms meet the chassis. The shock housings in the engine compartment are solid, but there are slight perforations which are visible as cracks below the torsion bar cover plate. Visit http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2896 to see the area I'm referring to. I don't have access to a hoist in order to provide additional photos; however, I suggest counting on doing some restorative work in this area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Mar-14-11 at 10:05:45 PDT, seller added the following information:

Some additional information about minor issues: The driver's side window knob is missing; the driver's side window runner felt is worn, making the window a bit difficult to open and close at the top part of the cycle; the front hood struts are worn to the point where the hood will not stay up on its own; the front hood rubber gasket is dried out and in need of replacement; the signal light relay switch needs to be replaced, but the signal lights work as they should; the hazard lights do not; the lower engine oil line needs to be replaced as it leaks a little; the oil temperature sender is either missing or not working; the engine hood pull handle is broken (the engine hood can be opened, as the mechanism works properly; the two finger flanges have simply snapped off)."
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Year: 1966
    VIN Number: 302947
    Winning bid: US $25,201.00
    Sale date: Feb-27-07
    Notes: "Purchased from the first owner’s family in 2005. They were residing in London at the time. First maintenance stubs are from Hahn Motorfahrzeuge, Stuttgart, Germany. Imported in January 1966.

VIN: 302947

Engine #: 903154 (901/01)

Transmission #: 225267

Options: Blaupunkt ‘Frankfurt’ radio with antenna and speaker,

Webasto heater.

The most obvious item is the headlights so I’ll address that right away. At some point they were replaced with the ones you see here (1968+). The owner’s family searched the estate but did not find the originals nor could they explain why the replacement occurred.

66,593 miles. The heads were rebuilt and the pistons re-ringed about 2,000 miles ago. The heat exchangers were replaced with SSI units at the same time. Transmission was opened up, cleaned, new syncros installed, and re-sealed by John Walker of Seattle. Clutch and pressure plate in great condition. New battery and a rebuilt alternator. Original engine stickers. Could use a new muffler.

Solexes changed to Webers. All fuel delivery items associated with that system, including an extra electrical and mechanical pump, will go with the car. Solex camshafts are still installed along with wobble nut on the left cam. Mechanical pump shown on the engine is static right now. I removed the plunger to alleviate any wear. Easily replaced if you decide to use the Solex system. Please note, the Solex carburetor bodies will need to be rebuilt before use.

All five chromed steel wheels stamped with either 8/65 or 11/65 dates. A couple of wheels have a little bubbling on them near the stem. Spare has the Firestone “Phoenix” tire it left the factory with. Trunk carpet is squareweave material with the corner near the battery cut away. All four brake calipers re-built with new rubber lines. New brake pads.

Tool kit in excellent condition – as pictured. Original keys (doors/ignition, glove box, antennae). Owner’s manual and maintenance booklet. Sorry no other maintenance documents were available when I purchased it.

Body was disassembled and repainted with Glasurit paint, Polo Red (factory code 6602), last year. I can’t say it was a bare metal repaint but it was sanded down quite a bit and in some areas, down to the metal. Top quality job. Small paint chip to the lower left of the windshield.

Excellent gaps and panel fit all around. Doors and decklid have the last three of the VIN stamped on them. New seals and rubber. Trim pieces are the original except for left rear bumper. It was replaced due to the condition of the former piece being sub par. Four-screw horn grills. Chrome is very nice. Rear bumperettes were drilled for the aftermarket Aamco (sp) chrome frame sometime during the last 40 years. Don’t know where that particular piece disappeared to.

Interior is original and in excellent condition. Seats look barely sat in. Slight seam tear (stitching) near driver’s left shoulder. Door panels are flawless, look new. Completely unrestored except for wood trim on glove box. That small piece was stripped and re-varnished with Gold Spar satin interior varnish. Perfect dash. Headliner excellent. Radio works.

The only rust issues are in the battery box area, the port rocker near the jack receiver, and both doglegs in the aft wheel wells. The aft wheel wells will require more attention than anywhere else. There is some light surface rust on the aft underside edge of the floor pan. The lower portion of the passenger lockpost looks like it has had some work done on it in the past. Webasto exhaust has long since rusted away. Solid torsion bar tube.

Hella foglamps are there along with the switch and correct wiring. The fragile interior of the foglamps has long since decayed away. The lamp bodies themselves are in fine shape with no rust. The glass has a single V shape in them.

Beautiful early 911 that drives very well, shifts smooth, looks and sounds great.

A note on the year: There are many knowledgeable individuals that would say this car is a ’66. While it may share many attributes of a ’66 911, the CoA says it’s a ’65, as do all the reference books I have. Therefore I call it a ’65. However, it has been titled since new as a ’66. When I received the CoA and called the Oregon DMV to get the title changed to a ’65, they said no problem, just send more money. I decided to wait.

http://www.pbase.com/fidalgo911s/porsche_911

IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT THE YEAR OF THE CAR!!

I have been contacted by a number of people with regards to the year of the car. It's been explained to me that while the CoA may state the model year is a '65, it is indeed a 1966 911. The Early 911S Registry has a very solid thread relating to this exact subject. The existing information has the 1965 year ending with the VIN's falling somewhere between 301900-301925. Since this car was delivered in November of 1965, and has a VIN that falls after these numbers, I can see that it is a '66 911. I guess I relied too heavily on the CoA. I appreciate all the e-mails regarding this subject.

Period correct headlights found. New in box!

I forgot to add: Rebuilt 930 chain tensioners with safety collars.

-All lights work.

-Horn ring on steering wheel needs new rubber cup center."
    Now here…

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas.../911/101716301
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Still selling it as a '65.

Research the selling dealer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The Daniel Schmitt's "65" is a 66 and has been for sale for quite some time. I have spoken to him personally about the car and told him the car is a 66. Why he persists in misrepresenting the car as a 65 is a mystery.