Page 224 of 268 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 2676

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

You’re welcome Rick — yep typo but would’ve been 6&7 15 originally in that stage of RS lifecycle not 7&8. So not sure even allowing 16 being a typo that is actually correct statement. I think one of papers photographed even mentions 7&8 with original 6s retained which obviously as evidence rather undermines their own statement if “correct” is meaning as left the factory. It is generally accepted that 7&8 were a bit later than this cars dob — they were a no M-number option that became fashionable.

I hope all is well with you?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-09-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Not sure if this thread is the right place to post as it is not for sale seemed to fit given the sale of a different RHD RS from the same small quota. Moderators feel free to move this post if not right spot.

After posting the sale result I came across this interesting video by Iain on another RHD RS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwb8cj-5x1s

Despite starting life at different ends of the British class system that red RS’s first owner and I became friends when he found out I’ve long owned another of the circa 50 RHD first 500 RS. We first met when I led the National strategic review of motorsport for the UK’s governing body of motorsport ( the FIA ASN) a number of years ago. In that capacity I was invited to attended the debate on motorsport and the future of of the British GP at the House of Lords — we met that day on the HoL terrace and stayed in touch thereafter. Naturally we often discussed first series RS model and I was interested to hear his experience as a first and long-term owner of the car in the video. He owned it from new, kept for several decades if memory serves me well. He told me he felt he had been given a bit of a sales pitch to upgrade his current 911 when there was concern by importer they wouldn’t shift the 500, but in retrospect was pleased he had done so. Ordered about five months before the Daytona 24 win created some awareness — by which time the red RS was already built and on use on the road for about a month . It replaced a previous 911. Not that old at time a 70 order 71 delivery if I correctly recall what he said, and it in turn after providing great service it was replaced by another new red 911. He was a genuine motorsport enthusiast. Told me the story of how he was inspired to be interested in motorsport by a master at his prestigious private school and regaled me tales of his commute between his large estate in Scotland and central London home plus journeys to continental Europe — every one meticulously logged because of his training.

We met once every year at the House of Lords in the motorsport industry’s lead up to the British GP and sometimes in between at the RAC clubhouse nearby on St. James Onetime out of the blue he rang my home for a natter about cars— I was at work but undeterred he proceeded to chat to my wife whom he’d previously met on one or two occasions. She is not normally that interested in talking about old cars but he was so charming she was a good sport. Wrote me interesting letters too. Only motorsport and our common interest in a particular type of motor car could connect a “Peer” and a working class lad. Lovely chap. Sadly missed. Think my late friend would appreciate Iain’s obvious enjoyment and enthusiasm in the video for his former RS so felt it was ok to share the recollections triggered by seeing his former car and him being referred to.

Lord Hesketh had another of these first series rhd car that went to his driver Hunt — the quota referred to in snippet from around the launch ( think I’ve posted before):

BBC3AD3D-BA19-4B7D-AD20-8C06FE4CA5EA.jpeg

So that is two of the circa 50 RHD first 500 sold new to members of House of Lords. Maybe the advertising in Country Life to “landed gentry” readership had some influence.
    Attachment 558527
    …. although the two people I mention were into motorsport so aware of motoring matters beyond such ads. Also by time the 19 October advert hit the news-stand the first 500 had sold out at early Oct 72 Paris launch so more likely such adverts influenced next circa 50 sold of series 2 or 3 in the U.K.?
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-11-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    RHD 0509 just sold for £387,000 (about usd 535,666) assuming £6000 buyer’s premium

Not mine no affiliation, although I do know of this car from a PO.

Quite a few “details” that I could comment upon but won’t bother as most are obvious.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/...rrera-2-7-rs-2

For those not familiar with the comment about a previous owner bequeathing a Ferrari 250 etc etc totalling £8.5m ( nearly $12m in today’s forex ) to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution from sale of his car collection, here is the old story frim 2015:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...e-34516519.amp

Steve

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ght=9113600509
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Steve - great video and wonderful background ...
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    RM Sotheby's Auction, St. Moritz, Switzerland, 17 September 2021
    1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS
    VIN: 9113600983
    Engine: 6630970
    Trans: -
    Color: Grand Prix White/Black Leatherette
    Mileage: 01,843 km (indicated)
    Auction Estimate: CHF450,000 - CHF550,000/~US$492,000 - $601,000
    Sold for: TBD

Attachment 557272

Auction Description:

- One of just 1,580 Carrera RS 2.7 examples constructed between 1973 and 1974
    - Original German-market car, supplied to Hahn Porsche of Fellbach, near Stuttgart
    - Numbers-matching type 911/83 engine
    - Presented in original colours of Grand Prix white with red detailing
    - Immaculately restored in 2010–2011 by Roock Sportsysteme, with only minimal use since

As one of just 1,308 M472 Touring variants believed to have been constructed, this particular example was delivered to original dealer Hahn Porsche of Fellbach, located only a short distance from Porsche’s Stuttgart factory, on 1 April 1973. Specified in the classic RS colour combination of Grand Prix White with corresponding red lettering and black interior, chassis 0983 was generously optioned with leatherette and corduroy sports seats, driver and passenger seat headrests, fog lights, a retractable radio aerial, loudspeakers, and three-point safety belts.

After spending its early life in Germany, the car was exported to Japan in July 1979, where it would remain for the next three decades. During this time, its original engine was evidently removed and replaced with another period correct item; the former being placed in long term storage. In 2009, the car was discovered and purchased in Japan by noted Porsche authority, Manfred Freisinger, who repatriated it to Germany.

Freisinger promptly sold 0983 to contemporary GT and Le Mans team Roock Sportsysteme of Leverkusen, Germany, who carried out a full restoration of the car between 2010 and 2011; a Porsche factory certificate being issued on 28 October 2011. Fortuitously, the numbers-matching engine (as confirmed by this chassis' 2.7 RS Registry entry) was located and purchased at auction in 2015 and, once also rebuilt by Roock Racing, was reinstalled in the car in 2016 prior to its sale to the incumbent owner in May 2017.

In the context of Porsche history, it is almost impossible to overstate the importance of the Carrera RS; it is a car which heralded the 911’s transition from plucky class-winner to Endurance Classic victor, while simultaneously offering genuine 150-mph performance from a Porsche for the first time. Consequently, the availability of such a fine example—immaculately restored by a Le Mans class-winning team, presented in its original factory colours and retaining its original engine and gearbox—represents an extremely rare opportunity indeed, and one which is surely worthy of further consideration by any committed Porsche or sports car enthusiast.

The house bid this up to the reserve of CHF450,000 and it did not sell. Was watching this one but you could tell the bids were not real and it died very quickly. I have other photos of the car if people are interested in seeing them. Nice car but market seems soft right now.

Rsh

RM Sotheby's doing a private sale of 9113601382 - Porsche 2.7 Carrera RSH
    Asking price: $1,550,000

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/priva...27-rsh/1166994

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.01.10 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mbmcrae View Post
    The house bid this up to the reserve of CHF450,000 and it did not sell. Was watching this one but you could tell the bids were not real and it died very quickly. I have other photos of the car if people are interested in seeing them. Nice car but market seems soft right now.

I bought this car and can tell you that your assumption that the bids were not real lack accuracy much like your inaccurate statement that the car didn't sell.

Congrats - stand corrected. Website had listed as "No Sale" after the auction and I was asked if I was still interested in the car after the auction was completed. Enjoy the car - check the engine seals if you plan on driving it hard... also would take a look at the rear window seal condition.

Congrats emnovakovich, I think you got a good car at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Congrats emnovakovich, I think you got a good car at a good price.

Thank you both!