Page 268 of 268 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268
Results 2,671 to 2,676 of 2676

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by cwrm4 View Post
    So perhaps they are effectively saying "we will not confirm nor deny the rear slam panel is not original on 0472, but draw your own conclusions based on these photos".
    That is how I interpreted it as well
    I am also 100% certain that the rear slam panel on ALL 1973MY cars (and probably for all of the next 2 years cars) was that continuous curve panel
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

That seems a fair interpretation.

My interest is in establishing factually what shape panel the factory used in 73 on RS and TES since afaik not a different panel. I had an opinion and little doubt but wanted to be sure was supported by credible evidence.

The comments about the BAT example here certainly gave me impetus to look into it today but I’m not that focussed on that listing. After all many RS offered for sale on this thread have had rear slam panel authenticity challenged.

I recognise these photos ( below) are not about the 73 RS; they’re much later cars and US examples but posting them here just to give some comparison. Acknowledgement to Joe Rusz and all other photographers for the images used as evidence

The first is the 1978 911 SC road tested by car and driver in 1978. Note even by then it still has the smooth continuous curve slam panel.
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    The article was published in March 1978

Next is the 78 turbo from a US magazine road test also 78 — unlike the SC it has the more angular kinked rear panel
    IMG_4245.jpg
    This article appeared in June 78.
    IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    The datapoints are hardly exhaustive evidence and the provenance of the examples is not as clear as the Jenks road test of the RS but seems likely nearly new cars would be supplied to magazine testers like “car and driver” “road and track”So the difference in the panel visible in two articles oubkished about three months apart goves a hypothesis that the slam change happened sometime doing model 78 or perhaps the 930 first?

Finally the 1980 SC also USA magazine test; a naturally aspirated 911 SC has the more angular shaped rear slam panel so it seems that had now been adopted
    IMG_4246.jpg
    I didn't come across SC engine bay photo from 1979 on quick scan of the www so perhaps the roll-out of the revised panel was completed across all models sooner?

Obviously just three USA datapoints are hardly thorough research but seems in necessary to overrun a “73 Carrera RS for sale” thread with more late 78-80 examples?

In context of model 73 TES and RS authenticity it probably doesn’t matter exactly when the later version of the rear panel was first seen on a 911. Probably “close enough for government work” to confirm (as Hugh had suggested ) it was perhaps 77 or more likely rolled out completely during the model year 78? Roughly five years later than end of the 73 RS production!

Since I have it to hand adding one more image showing the panel on one of the cars used in the RS specific brochure that was put together hastily around end of calendar 72. It is a known early chassis under development so details were not to final spec like the negative script and stickers on the rear panel but still a datapoint as it’s source is clearly the factory known to be taken by a prominent member of the factory when the RS model was brand new:
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    I’m not sensing any arguments or seeing evidence to suggesting that the continuously curved shape is the correct on for the 73 RS*.

Steve

*Hugh mentioned an old thread exits investigating the mysterious square on the panel so I suggest pick-up there if there is any energy or new infomation regarding that point.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-02-2024 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Has this one been posted here?

One to watch, it is the last few of the first 500er series 0508 without an Mxxx conversion.

Attachment 613240
    Estimate $2,000,000 - $2,500,000

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1973-p...y&utm_content=

Shouldn’t it be 188 ft-lbs torque!?

Steve
    This one is real. It is a homologation car as listed.

Purely by chance I looked at the list of cars that were inspected by my aforementioned acquaintance. This is or was HIS personal car. How's that for provenance?
    FWIW, the number he was offered the last time we spoke was slightly less than 1/10th the Gooding estimate. Mind you, some time has passed.

Tom

PS: Sold $1,985,000 yesterday
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by cwrm4 View Post
    It's puzzling that Road Scholars is insistent 0472 has its original rear slam panel, including posting a number of pictures of correct real slam panels on other original RS's. Yet even my untrained eye instantly saw the later slam panel when I clicked on the listing.
    From my observations , I would say that the Duck has been replaced also. This is a later style shell (the fiberglass portion) , I have not been able to nail down exactly when it arrived , but the vast majority of 1973 Production cars seem to have received an earlier version. In fact , I have not been able to 100% authenticate that any 1973 production year cars received them. I have been trying to ascertain this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tour de Corse; 03-20-2024 at 04:03 PM.

Here is an example of an early shell , I have better photo examples but no access now . This will have to suffice.

See any differance ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

FS: @RM|Sotheby's - RS Touring Sunroof - 0660

RM|Sotheby's Auction, Toronto, Canada, May 31 - June 1, 2024
    1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring Sunroof Coupe
    VIN: 9113600660
    Engine: 6630626
    Trans: -
    Color: Light Ivory/Black
    Mileage: 95,500 (indicated)
    Auction Estimate: US$700,000 - $800,000
    Sold for: TBD

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 1.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 2-1.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 8.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 9.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 10.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 11.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 12-1.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 13.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 15.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring 0660 - Light Ivory 16.jpg

Auction Description:

- Beautifully restored and well-documented with numbers-matching engine
    - Exceedingly well-maintained and finished in factory-correct Light Ivory over Black Leatherette
    - Accompanied by extensive history file with Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, invoices and photos from a previous restoration, and other documentation, as well as a tool roll

This Carrera RS 2.7 was sold new in Italy and finished, as today, in a subtle and attractive combination of Light Ivory over a Black Leatherette interior (the graphic lower body “Carrera” script so closely associated with this model, however, was added later in the car’s life). It was imported to the United States in 1986 by a resident of Westport, Connecticut. A copy of a document on file indicates that it was titled in Texas at this time.

The very next year, Prescott Kelley, noted RS expert and Porsche Club of America historian, acquired the RS 2.7. Following his ownership, the car would then pass through several collectors before being acquired in 2000 by Roger Hoffmann, a noted collector and frequent Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance entrant. At some point prior to his acquisition the wheels were painted Viper Green and matching graphics were added to the exterior. Intent on restoring the car to its original glory, Hoffman would commission a two-year, comprehensive cosmetic and mechanical refurbishment sparing no expense, many invoices and photos for which are on file. Hoffman would retain the RS 2.7 for some years and then pass it on to other conscientious caretakers.

Upon entering the Dare to Dream Collection in February of 2014, the car would be serviced to bring it into top operating condition. It remains beautifully presented in factory-correct Light Ivory with period-correct black graphics over Black Leatherette with cord inserts. Notably, the car retains its numbers-matching engine, as confirmed by a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity on file, and it is said to be one of few examples equipped with virtually every factory option, including air conditioning, an electric sunroof, electric windows, a limited slip differential, sport seats, head restraints, retractable seat belts, and an AM/FM radio with automatic antenna. In addition to Porsche documentation and an extensive history file, it is accompanied by a tool roll.

Beautifully restored, incredibly maintained, and perennially lusted-after as the 911 Carrera RS that spawned succeeding generations, this is a stellar and well-documented example that serious marque enthusiasts and collectors will surely clamor over.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548