Page 187 of 268 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2676

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Peter

thanks for that other photo of Heinz-Walter Schewe at the 1976 RAC rally. The time of that rally (late November 1976) is in the period where he owned 0294 so I think there is a good possibility that it was that car. It is hard to see what the damage was from that photo but this one shows it better.
    Attachment 411478

I am fairly certain that this car that crashed in the 1976 Lombard RAC was NOT the blue car 0810 as the various commentaries around it on line during a sales process some years ago said that "he had it from new and competed in it in the 74 and 75 RAC - DNF both times" - But no mention of that car being in the 76 RAC where this accident happened. So unless that commentary was inaccurate it would suggest the white car 0294 was the one that crashed in Nov 1976.
    A board member in the USA currently owns the blue car and has posted about it on this board. Maybe he can add some information if he is reading this thread

On a further examination I also think that the other photo I posted (post 1199) which showed him at the 1977 Rally Costa Brava (Mid February 1977 so only 2 months after the RAC accident) is more likely to be the blue car 0810 not 0294 as here is a photo of the blue car at the 1976 rallye Trifels (Nurburgring??) ( Schewe Druba car #8) with similar flares and a paint scheme like the one at the rally Costa Brava.
    Attachment 411479

I have photos of the blue car wearing registration numbers SY SW 97 (the same as the car in the crash) as well as HA HS 78. The HA HS 78 plates were on it in 1974 and also in photos in 1976. However this photo shows the SY SW 97 plates on a blue car which I can only believe is 0810 at the Inn-Chiemgau Rallye in October 1976
    Attachment 411480

EDIT

I have just seen David's post. David I agree but probably not in a two month time frame especially when you have another RS lightweight rally car to use. I would not be surprised if a "reshelling" of the car occurred back at that time accounting for the incorrect spacing of the VIN numbers in the photo from Gert NGT that first started this. After all they were competition cars to be used to the maximum and kept up to date, and safe to use, at that time - not precious things to be wrapped in cotton wool and with owners fussing over tiny details :-) Also according to the board accompanying it he had it from 1974 to 2011.
    in this article, they say that Porsche was blue:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...kMdw0QTj6voPDM

Among other things, ended up over 4 people, suffering from various fractures but without life threatening.

Do you know anything about the state of # 0810 from 1978 until 2013? Who restored it in 2013?

What happened to # 0294?

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Steve,

The seat belts in 0091 are probably a later addition. No mention of them on the original build list. The seat belt is the 74 to 76? version with a different B style hook than the one used for the 72/73 version. The covers look original and were still available after 1973. Not uncommon to see F models 911 with seat belts mounted in later years.

Rgds, Cees

Thanks for the info Cees. The ones chosen didn’t blend in well visually. There was a lot going on with seatbelts around then with country brand variations, regulatory nuances across regions and belt design evolution. For example in UK common to see Kangol three point static in the early RS using the BSI regulated mounts rather than the repa. In 72 shown sometimes as separate item on invoice here as importer fit; not factory. Hope you are well and keeping safe.

S

I agree, probably too much shiny polish compound used on it
    Here a 72T, same appearance and with the correct year seat belt: https://www.flickr.com/photos/724856...7713188783886/
    More nice pictures for that car available in that album.

All well and safe, just arrived in Norway for a 10 day quarantine period prior to go to work...

Stay well!
    Last edited by fourteenten; 06-26-2020 at 02:19 AM. Reason: add info

The Carrera RS was not sold officially in USA so equipment market norms for there don’t apply although sometimes these not to original specification things creep in on restorations.

Sometimes by choice and sometimes through lack of knowledge and diligence

While belts could be factory fitted they were also a dealer or as in the U.K. fitted by the sole importer to conform to the prevailing local regulations and standards regarding things like anchorage location and the certification of the belt itself. Here in U.K. BSI ( British standards Institute). Although Europe was becoming a “common market” automotive regulations were not yet harmonised across Europe and not all countries were enrolled. Some still not part of the EU. Imo there is more variation on belts than the often default to Repa. For example in the U.K. a market where the model was sold seatbelts were mandatory to fit but not use since around 1965 however curiously for an expensive motor car Porsche still showed an additional charge for seatbelts in the accessories and options price list Even by model year 1973 — top of list without an option number but has a price of £12.50 pair.

83B8F397-0D0C-4989-B58C-3548F39E300B.jpg

And around the time seatbelt pair were shown as a line item on the new car invoice as on this extract from original UK invoice:
    A87548C2-E59E-48F5-AE1B-F5548C8B6511.jpeg
    I certainly would find it curious if I saw belts like that on an early 72 built RHD RS.
    Details are important in understanding exactly what car is and who’s been messing with it imo.

There were Swiss nuances to specification and folks here who know them ( eg iirc they required different horns) plus there many other country market configuration and regulatory things besides that are relevant to look into if folks care enough.

To be clear.... Not saying that there is an issue with this RS example but anachronistic details such as this do catch the eye on a car that claims “doesn’t need a single thing”.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-27-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Speaking seat belts. This Yellow RS listed by DK has rear seat belts. Never seen this on any other example... after market?

https://www.dkeng.co.uk/ferrari-sale...arrera_rs.html

They could be Porsche, 924? but definitely not standard or even optional. Rear seat belts were only optioned for the US/CDN, may be AUS market. Front seat belts are aftermarket for sure.
    Nice car but shame it has G model knee pads and stickers on the steering column switches..This car has been on/off the market a couple of times.

Rgds, Cees

I don’t recall seeing belts fitted to rear of RS by factory either but I guess it could’ve been specified however attitudes to seatbelts was different back then. In the U.K. rear belts were made made mandatory to wear only comparatively recently according to wiki:
    “ Rear seat belts were compulsory equipment from 1986 and became compulsory for them to be worn in 1991.”
    So unlikely top of mind for original purchaser to specify rears here back in 72/3 But maybe regulations and attitudes to such things varied by country where RS sold new?

Mine had black plastic plugs in rear belt fitting location.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-28-2020 at 03:26 AM.

Yellow RS

Anybody know this car or have opinions on condition etc?
    https://www.europeancollectibles.com...911-carrera-rs

1364 has been on and off the market since at least 2010 when it was sold/auctioned in Essen. It was once in GP/white/blue and I think Canepa did the resto, no idea why buyers/dealers did not enjoy the car but sold it again. Just for profit? Of course there are small things not entirely period correct but not many restored cars are 100% either.

Regards,

Cees