Page 136 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2681

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

Hi Doug, good spot. Curious to see the vin and engine stamp even more now. No pillar vin on RoW cars nor the RS that I've seen, but some folks here know JV market RS specification better than I do.

Best

Steve

Yup, 74+ mirror. The VIN tag on the A pillar was a common addition as part of the NHTSA conversion process. The VIN had to be visible (and that may still be the case in the US). So this tag was most likely added after the car was imported. Interesting that it still retains 6 and 7 inch wheels (I think), although the finish looks too polished.

I always scratch my head at cars like this going to Mecum. Maybe there's a strategy I don't get. But my first reaction when I see cars like this is that the better houses for early, rare 911s wouldn't take them. Maybe they work a better deal on the seller's fees, but that seems like a short-sighted approach.
    Jeff Jensen

Thanks for clarifying Jeff.

You would know first hand that stuff as it pertains to importing an original RS to USA! Wonder when car offered for sale was imported USA authorities still required that? Hope that's the case for why it is there, rather than something more fundamental. Still would like to see vin and engine stamps too.

ROW /US flag mirrors are all too big, far too square and on the wrong side of the vehicle for my liking Even the smaller flags. Hell you might even be able to see something behind in them. I presume NickD and other RHD owners over there just go fast enough so nothing to worry about what is behind them

Been to many car auctions but not been to Mecum. I'm sure they're very good at moving the metal. From what I've seen portrayed on various car TV shows their particular style, if truly representative, leaves me rather cold for rare old 911s and the like ... even more so than the other car auctions. Each to their own, but agree doesn't seem the most obvious auction house for selling JV market M471.

Hope all is well with you

ATB

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-08-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Steve, you are quite correct - single round side mirror. BTW when I brought my RS over I did not need to have a vin plate install on the A pillar. Funny story about rear view mirror - I picked up a couple of exec's from Intel many years ago at Gatwick Airport - they had to fly in on separate aircraft. They had an inkling that I had a heavy foot, so when they asked why I didn't have a rear view mirror (company car crap) I told them the first thing I did when I got a new car was rip off the mirror as I had no interest in what was behind me The sharp click of the seat belt in the back seat once I'd deliver the line was entertaining....
    Last edited by nickd; 08-11-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

The mirror could well be correct for that car. My Italian delivered RS is the same. The reasons are wrapped up in Italian road requirements of the day. The car most likely would have been delivered from the factory without any mirror.

Plenty of other 'errors' including those wheels and tyres. Italian delivered cars did not have a hazard warning light but this car does, the gear knob is from a later car and those floor pedals!

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

The car could have very well had the "flag" mirror...there is a picture of the actor Fritz Wepper taking delivery of his new rs at the factory and it has a flag mirror. I am having trouble posting a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    The mirror could well be correct for that car. My Italian delivered RS is the same. The reasons are wrapped up in Italian road requirements of the day. The car most likely would have been delivered from the factory without any mirror.

Plenty of other 'errors' including those wheels and tyres. Italian delivered cars did not have a hazard warning light but this car does, the gear knob is from a later car and those floor pedals!

Regards
    Mike
    Same here with my Italian delivery RS.

Quote Originally Posted by ODK View Post
    The car could have very well had the "flag" mirror...there is a picture of the actor Fritz Wepper taking delivery of his new rs at the factory and it has a flag mirror. I am having trouble posting a picture.
    Hi ODK

Welcome. Don't believe I've seen that picture

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

i think we need to see a picture of your RS please. A man with your knowledge really needs to post a picture of your car.

Best regards

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Steve, i think we need to see a picture of your RS please.
    Yes, and I would be very interested to see a photo of your chassis number stamping. A brochure placed over the last digit should protect your privacy.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA