Page 246 of 268 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2676

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by DougM36 View Post
    1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS Touring
    Highly desirable first series example of the legendary 2.7 RS. Presented in its original and stunning color combination and retaining its original matching-numbers engine.
    VIN: 9113600427
    https://www.fantasyjunction.com/inve...uring/overview
    August 2017 - RM|Sotheby's Monterey Auction - Sold for US$649,000
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Fantasy Junction, Emeryville, CA
    1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring
    VIN: 9113600427
    Engine: 6630453
    Trans: 7329373
    Color: Signal Yellow/Black
    Mileage: - (99,866 km indicated - August 2017)
    Price: US$735,000

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 1.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 2.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 3.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 4.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 5.jpg

1973 Porsche 2.7L 911 Carrera RS Touring - Fantasy Junction 6.jpg

Dealer Description:

"More info coming soon...."
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    Seems nice. Any comments?
    I’m in the market and am flexible, but don’t want a RS with a disputed history or other questions.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

Bill
    I dont know the car at all but would comment that this is another one (of seemingly many these days) that has the incorrect rear slam panel.
    Also I am a bit surprised at the clarity and depth of the gearbox number stamping when the typ number is scraped away as is the metal at the other end of that piece. On my car which also has the type number almost scraped off there is only a fairly light stamping left of the number - not saying it is wrong - just stands out as unusual to me

Also not the original gearbox - that should have been 7830430 - a 915/08 box not a 915/02 one the number suggests therefore it would not have the oil pump and shaved gears of an RS but is a 1972 unit with no oil pump and ground gears
    when it was for sale in 2014 it was called a "correct type" gearbox which is not strictly correct

and if you want to get picky (and why not for almost three quarters of a million dollars) the speedo has been replaced with a later 300K one (originally it would have been 250K for a Jan build) and the window switches are also from a later model (should be chrome)

the spare wheel appears to be from a mid 80's car (I cant see/ read the date code but it has the "safety" double valve stem that was introduced then to stop people literally blowing up (exploding) their tires by over inflating them)
    I cant see it in the photos on this listing but the last time i saw it for sale it also had the wrong (later) version of the multipurpose gauge (Oil temp and pressure) that was introduced about 3 months after this car was made. That also goes for the badge on the rear right window - it seems to be the can am badge introduced in March 73 rather than the earlier "69 70 71 Weltmeister" badge.

Also i am pretty sure the engine fan strap should have two bolts instead of one fastening it at that stage
    In addition I cant tell from this listing if it has black headlining or not but when it was sold at Sotherby's a couple of photos seems to show black - if so that is not how it was originally built.

Most of these are fiddly little details but woulds be enough (at this price point) to make me want to have a very close look at its history
    Last edited by HughH; 03-23-2023 at 10:09 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

In the same spirit being picky for almost 3/4 million dollars some things maybe to investigate?
    For example:
    Is the rear lid original and correct in detail for a first 500 series RS as there might from images be reason to question it?
    Seat corduroy fabric is not type typically used in model 73 — are they recovered or replacement seats ?
    7 & 8 Fuchs probably not as originally supplied at that point in RS production cycle wouldve typically expected 6&7 for earlyish example — wider rims were a common fitment due to fashion for wider rims from around spring so maybe done early in life but check numbers and date stamps?
    Is the fragile RS plastic horn push still there or is is metal?
    Some aspects of the floor pan need to be looked into as maybe finish etc not as factory original ?
    Both horns facing same direction — check thread comments by Clyde and others regarding this detail ?
    Lot of paint on areas where original homologation cars were quite “whispy” and other finish details while some maybe argue “it’s better than new” — shiny considered a benefit by some but others may not want that ?
    At first only RS in the reserved for the RS model grans prix white colour had an option of Carrera side stripes in red green or blue — black Carrera side decals were not typically fitted on other coloured RS until later in the production cycle so are these like the wider wheels a later addition? In any event why fitted in incorrect position on at least one of them?
    Are those stickers on the steering column stalk controls— generally RS didn’t have them as model not officially sold in USA and such stickers only used in very few country markets so ask why if there?

Early 911 cars are nearly all five decades old so many (most?) will have been restored .. for better or for worse … so all require due diligence — the specialty nature of the early RS means they have some nuances compared to contemporary series production TES and even later superficially similar third series RS. Details really do matter — or should especially on a 500er as they were designed and built to a particular homologation specification with much thought and at times quite convoluted outside the normal approach to achieve the sole objective that created the need for the limited edition on that particular year, so a great pity when such nuanced things that mark out these examples out get …errr .. erased.
    6B9BAE34-3A72-4563-9FD7-62761C9D6939.jpg
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-24-2023 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Bill
    I dont know the car at all but would comment that this is another one (of seemingly many these days) that has the incorrect rear slam panel.
    Also I am a bit surprised at the clarity and depth of the gearbox number stamping when the typ number is scraped away as is the metal at the other end of that piece. On my car which also has the type number almost scraped off there is only a fairly light stamping left of the number - not saying it is wrong - just stands out as unusual to me

Also not the original gearbox - that should have been 7830430 - a 915/08 box not a 915/02 one the number suggests therefore it would not have the oil pump and shaved gears of an RS but is a 1972 unit with no oil pump and ground gears
    when it was for sale in 2014 it was called a "correct type" gearbox which is not strictly correct

and if you want to get picky (and why not for almost three quarters of a million dollars) the speedo has been replaced with a later 300K one (originally it would have been 250K for a Jan build) and the window switches are also from a later model (should be chrome)

the spare wheel appears to be from a mid 80's car (I cant see/ read the date code but it has the "safety" double valve stem that was introduced then to stop people literally blowing up (exploding) their tires by over inflating them)
    I cant see it in the photos on this listing but the last time i saw it for sale it also had the wrong (later) version of the multipurpose gauge (Oil temp and pressure) that was introduced about 3 months after this car was made. That also goes for the badge on the rear right window - it seems to be the can am badge introduced in March 73 rather than the earlier "69 70 71 Weltmeister" badge.

Also i am pretty sure the engine fan strap should have two bolts instead of one fastening it at that stage
    In addition I cant tell from this listing if it has black headlining or not but when it was sold at Sotherby's a couple of photos seems to show black - if so that is not how it was originally built.

Most of these are fiddly little details but woulds be enough (at this price point) to make me want to have a very close look at its history
    Noted many of those points too Hugh, #197 had a very light coat of body deadener on all of the flat floor section alos not evident on this car either.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Hose clamps missing,

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

On Steve's point about the seats Firstly it was not built with sports seats so they are replacements (fine if you want it as a driver but not so if it is supposed to be an "investment") and secondly they were not black and cord - but black and hounds tooth "comfort" seats fitted originally.

the only other original options fitted were a manual antenna on the LHS (no longer there) and loudspeaker, and the electric windows and sunroof as shown in the pictures
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I think the seat belts should have the orange tracer in the center, the speaker grill would drive me nuts. It looks like an unsteady hand did the work. Should the headrests be D shaped with cloth inserts? I guess it doesn't matter if the seats are replaced. Also the protection plate under the steering rack is not correct for an 85L tank. Tt should have the extension on the leading edge that covers the fuel fittings. More nits.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

You noticed everything I did.

Thanks All!
    Much appreciated. Nice to have the interaction as seems to have dwindled or maybe I’m not paying enough attention. I’m guessing this RS is somewhere in the 50 percentile. Slam panel is always concerning since that’s fairly heavy surgery. I had a ‘69T that needed the slam panel either repaired or replaced. I stared at that for a long time trying to figure best way and ultimately never got to it.
    Again, thanks.
    Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold