Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on MidWest R Gruppe - Sonoma

Update on MidWest R Gruppe - Sonoma

We've got limited WiFi and time, so here's a link to photos of our trip, so far.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=279901

We're in Sonoma. My odometer is reading 3,288 miles! And there's a 300 mile driving tour tomorrow (for us MidWest boyz, that's like a stroll around the block ..... )

One casualty. Bill was running alone to Sacramento and rounded a corner at night, striking a rock slide. He's out ....

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Ouch, That one hurts. Hope Bill's physically ok - no doubt his mental state must be in need of some repair as well.
    Why do badf things happen to such nice cars ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Break out the booze and naked women for him...some serious medication is called for.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Mike, that's the only questionable post I've ever read by you. I've seen some gallant efforts by many on these BBS's to keep everyone rollin'. I just wish I had some parts and my welder nearby, I'd get that sucker to Sonoma with bandaids, or whatever.

Very sorry, Bill. I don't know you, but if it's any consolation, from where I sit, that car will ride again and soon. I just don't like what I see with the hood, but it will fix, all of it, I'm sure. And good as new.

If and when I get my frame machine, my heart will soar to put a car like that back in spec on on it's way to another gathering of the Gruppe.

Gburner

WTF dude? Agree with Zeke. Not sure what your point was. The guy is 2000 miles from home with a bent car. Don't kick him when he is down. Hopefully it was just misplaced humor.

Either way, that just sucks. To come all that way for that to happen. Fortunately, it looks like it can be made whole again and just be a bad memory. At the end of the day though, the most important thing is being able to put your head on that pillow...

Gburner
    Sorry my comment was brief and left room for interpretation.

I removed my photo shopped picture of the car with the R Gruppe magnet removed.

If this crash had happened in my area until he returned from the N/S weekend I would pick it up with my trailer and store it in my garage for him.

Why would I not fly the colors on a crashed car?
    Damage control, public perception and self preservation?
    When commercial aircraft crash they cover what’s left of the company’s name, why?
    This person has every right to wear the colors, and I feel bad he hit the curb.
    I just thought that picture was more damning to R Gruppe than all the previous written negative R Gruppe comments.
    Perhaps soon this photo will appear in the Pelican off topic with a photo shopped black Audi tow truck.

I see no reason this single car crash on a city street that occurred several days and hundreds of miles from Sonoma be associated with the R Gruppe’s N/S weekend.

But if you think it should be tell me why?
    I take no position and await your argument.

Just to keep the peace I will post the car with the R Gruppe magnet in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few photos from today .... started out with a run up to The Racers Group shop where Kevin Buckler had an open house for us. Then we were off to Infinion Racetrack and then a 93 mile warmup tour for tommorow's main event. There are some outrageous cars here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    This person has every right to wear the colors, and I feel bad he hit the curb.
    Guess you didn't really read Curt's post very carefully. Bill did not hit a curb, he hit a large rock in the road from a recent rock slide.

He had split off from the rest of us on our trip to LA and Sonoma and was traveling into Sacramento on I 80 late Monday night. Fortunately he was not injured and hopes to repair the car depending on the insurance settlement. He is here with us in Sonoma this weekend and is really in a good mood considering what happened to his car.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thanks for the pictures Curt.

I so wish I was there with you guys. I was at Kevins (Kevin P73) until 10 pm. friday nite with him putting the finishing touches on my car so I could leave early Sat. am. and meet up for the big parking lot get together but the car wouldn't start. It's been in his shop for 5 months and hasn't been run. It sputtered and coughed buy wouldn't start. Oh well, next year...
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.