Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on deciding on a car? 67S or 69S

Need help on deciding on a car? 67S or 69S

Need help on deciding on a car? 67S or 69S

New to the forum and I’m torn between choosing 2 cars. One is a 67S 2 owner car matching #’s. original color repainted in the late 80’s, no rust, good interior but needs the engine rebuilt.

Second car is a 69S that has good mechanicals, matching #’s, no rust, good interior w/ out the sport seats but has been repainted non original colors but still good condition.

I know I’m not giving all the details, as I am trying to get all of them but which car would you be considering they both cost the same? If I buy the 67, I would need to fork out the wallet and get the rebuild but if I bought the 69, I could drive it now and worry about repaint in the future.

What’s the better buy? I’ll try to get pics and upload soon.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Do you want to collect it or drive it?
    Hard to say the better buy not knowing how much they are.

The SWB is a BLAST to drive!!!! A little harder and $$$ finding some parts but with the engine rebuilt you would have a great , reliable car.
    The 69 without orig color - you wouldn't have to worry about rock chips.

Wish I had your problems ! - Buy'em both !

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Here's how I see it.

First, what are your plans? If you are going to drive it and keep it for a while (whatever that means), to me, the number of previous owners, paint color etc does not matter only condition and suitability for my driving plans. If you are planning on a show car, numbers matching etc. etc., then you have your answer already.

The cars do drive differently (especially at their limits) so that needs to be considered as well.

If you need more issues to consider to decide add the fact that a car that "needs nothing" should budget $3-5k for surprises.

The 67 will need an engine rebuild so you should budget at least $10k for that activity plus above.

The SWB cars are showing signs of problems getting some parts hence potential higher costs of repairs down the road.

Tell us more.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Both are nice cars and John has a point. Do what makes you happy. Most people prefer LWB cars as SWB car's aren't for everyone.
    I also sent you a PM.

Good luck no matter what you decide.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

As Jon said...tough call. I like the feel of the SWB on the roads with the proper mods...the LWB cars are much more stable and forgiving though for the uninitiated -- you need to drive the two and decide.

Same money for both...I would choose the 67.

If you are a DIYer, the 67 is a better bet as there is no MFI. The 69 has the highest HP/liter and is a real screamer...the 67 with a CDI will be close though in performance though. I second the "buy them both" plan...you onle live once.

Cheers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thank you!

Thanks everyone. It is a tough choice. I do plan to keep the car for “some time”, but if there is ever a need to sell… I don’t want to be upside down on this car. If I put $10k into the car, hopefully I’ll be able to recover the costs.

I thought about buying both, but w/ interest rates going up, I need some extra cash in the bank instead of on a car.

If the owners wanted mid/high $20’s, which one should I choose….????

Joe, I sent you back a PM.

1/2 price sale ?
    Whichever one you buy, if you do not flip it right away and you drive it a while you will begin to lose money. The 67 might be a better investment. But you will lose the amount of the rebuild and Harry is absolutely right - count on at least 3 grande a year on surprises.
    Only buy it if you love the car if you want to keep it a while - if you are looking to make money - at the price you quoted you could do that nicely if you flipped it or sat on it.

But no one can say just what these cars will be worth in the future. esp if gas goes to $10.00 a gallon.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

To clarify one little thing about losing the amt of the rebuild [relative to the 69]- The 67 might be worth more than the 69 as it was the first year but you will have to pay an additional 7 -10,000 for the engine rebuild.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Buy whichever one you like the best. That is always my advice to anyone. Myself, I like them both. The LWB cars are very good and fun to drive. The SWB cars are "ever so much more so". There it is. And if anyone can remember where that came from I will be surprised.
    Tom

h.p. stories where the theme of change being inevitable regardless of a proustian fondness for things past ...
    apply to 69 vs 67 would seem to suggest ?
    i always liked robert redford's irish green 67 in that spygames movie ...
    is not color important too, or will spending another 10k to get the color you want defeat the purpose of a reasonable budget?
    with engine rebuild etc, it can start to climb, monetarily ...
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown