Thread: ya think i need some new bushings?

ya think i need some new bushings?

After roughing in the body and interior, I started on the suspension upgrade on my '68 R-look project. This is what 38 year-old factory bushings can look like--totally out of round and torn up. Luckily, the torsion tube cleaned up nicely. I'm installing some bigger torsion bars w/ Sway-a-way SWB adjustable springplates and Chuck's polybronze bushing kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Where can I get info on Chuck's polybronze bushing kit?
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Mike,

You could try googling "polybronze bushing kit" which would lead you to either Pelicanparts.com or elephantracing.com.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Mine looked the same.

One should really give all their suspension a good look after finding something like this.

Makes a big improvement to refresh all the failed rubber bits.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Just flip em over and switch left and right sides and they'll be good for another 38 years.

Tom have you considered the Wevo SPS? I've got them on my car and love them. When you consider the cost of the polybronze and the Sway-a-way plates they don't don't look so expensive. I'm not sure however if they make them for SWB cars.

Mike,

http://www.elephantracing.com/
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobboloo
    Just flip em over and switch left and right sides and they'll be good for another 38 years.
    That's a good one! I'm almost cheap enough to do that!

Tom have you considered the Wevo SPS?
    Oh yeah. Back in November I contacted Hayden about them. They're under development for the SWB cars, still. I have a list of 10 people from here and Pelican who responded to the idea of making them. I just couldn't wait any longer. I want to get this car into the game this autox season before it's over! Then there's the matter of the policeman who came by my house after it had been up on jackstands in the side yard for a month while I did the underbody, and gave me 10 days to get it rolling again or it would be confiscated as abandoned. Or I could build a fence and enclose the yard. I guess my neighbors decided it was an eyesore.
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Dang it Tom, that's funny. The cop bustin ya chops over keeping a 911 outside for a couple weeks???? Just remembered why I love living in the country.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    Dang it Tom, that's funny. The cop bustin ya chops over keeping a 911 outside for a couple weeks???? Just remembered why I love living in the country.
    Yah, we got ordinances here in the big city to stifle disturbers of the peace like myself. Here's a copy of my actual notice to remove the "public nuisance vehicle." I have to admit, it did look pretty bad with the glass out (except the windshield,) the bumpers and lights removed, the engine lid and hood off, the interior stripped, wheels and tires removed, etc. The cop was actually a good guy (name and badge removed in the graphic for his privacy) and when I explained what I was doing, and that the car was registered, insured and actually ran, he said I could have 30 days instead of 10, as long as I put the wheels back on and took it off the jackstands so no kids couldn't knock it off the stands and hurt themselves, which I thought was reasonable. I told him it would be back to street legal trim in less than 10 days, no problem, and there wasn't. I got it back together in 7 days and called him and he closed the case.

The next booger of an ordinance our fine city is considering is a restriction on street parking of any "oversized or motorless vehicle" overnight anywhere in the city limits. Seems there are too many lowlifes living in RVs that park by the beach and piss off the tax-paying citizens. This will mean I can't even park my enclosed trailer in front of my house overnight. What a pisser! It may be time to move to the country, this is getting ridiculous.

TT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

'jackstands so no kids couldn't knock it off the stands and hurt themselves'

- That law saved you from maybe having a huge lawsuit. I never thought of the kid injury thing myself.

Lots of cities have laws like this - it saves them trouble when junkies strip a car and leave it abandoned somewhere. Otherwise, they'd take months to track the owner and give them time to remove the hulk.