Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please be on the lookout, '87-89 Carrera (with damage)

Please be on the lookout, '87-89 Carrera (with damage)

Looking for my next car/project. I'm not in a hurry, but I can spring for the right car. What I want is a candidate to backdate ala Auto Farm's conversions. A running car preferred; repairable collision damage is also preferred to keep the buy-in down and I don't want the bumpers, etc. anyway. No Targas, please. I will consider a cab only because I hear they are cheaper than coupes. I will probably put a HT on it, if that's what I end up with. (As far as that goes, I guess I can cut off the Targa bar and do the same, but I have no experience with that move.)

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Auto Farm, here is a link to their conversions page: http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/Classrecr.html

I basically agree with the concept rather than taking a 3.2 or larger and installing it in one of our classic early 911s. If you have a solid lead on such a candidate car, I will gladly pay a modest finder's fee. Feel free to contact me thru email: zekebeck_at_verizon_dot_net to discuss.

Thanks for reading and please don't forget this as this needle-in-a-haystack search may take some time. I hope to rejoin my great friends at the RGruppe and Early S functions, even though in a poser

Edit: I appreciate the response. I'm in no hurry, just something for people to think about if they happen on to a candiate and don't know who to call. I don't even wish to "bump" this, so I'm just adding my thoughts here as I will do as we go along. Thanks to all.

Oh, and maybe it doesn't have to be a G50 car.

Zeke,
    There was just such a car that sold on ebay recently for about 15K. I agree the concept is a solid one, I would think only issue is weight. I also think back dating a 930 to a RSR would be a heck of neat car for all the same reasons.
    Good Luck,
    Phil

Talk to Phil...

Zeke,
    Give Phil VanBuskirk a call @ PML (505.838.1222)...tell him I sent you, and what you're trying to do. He's a very resourceful guy. It would be a conversation worth having...

Good Luck
    cheers
    Thom Kuby

There is an '89 cab on the PCA website:

15,900/best
    damaged 911 cab., with parts! needs right 3/4 nose and bodywork. has newer cup wheels, whail tail, aftermarket exhaust/breather. runs strong!!!
    Seller Information
    Type of Seller: Private Seller
    Company:
    Name: John O'Malley
    Street Address: 41 Moon AvenueCranston, RI 02920UNITED STATES
    City: Cranston
    State/Province: RI
    Zip/Postal Code: 02920
    Telephone Number: 401-486-1040
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

I have the car.

Zeke,

I have an original non sunroof 87 carrera. (Rare) No air conditioning and no options. G50 87K miles. Runs good looks good.

I purchased it for my 3.8 conversion. Then I bought the black car.

I will sell it for what I am into it. Around $20K

Keep me posted with any interest.

Just missed this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=284597
    They are out there. Damn.

So you'd prefer minor damage to something like this?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Oak Green Cab

89 no damage car, everything worked $15-16K 100K All history
    I have emails w/ pictures if interested.
    Randy K. Germany /Oregon Way too many put away way too many gone !

Milt,
    I saw that same car on pelican, that was perfect car for your project and a smokin deal. You have to just keep looking, these deals do pop up from time to time, just have to pull trigger if you first in line.
    Good Luck,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    So you'd prefer minor damage to something like this?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
    Peter, I appreciate you keeping your eye out. The thing about that car is it in CT. No way would I buy a car w/o seeing it in person. I don't know what the reserve was, but it shouldn't be too much over what the final bid was. If the guy wanted more, he should have fixed whatever it was that he said was "minor damage" and gone from there.

When I sell cars, I sell them. I price them so that anyone who is in the know and serious won't hesitate. I guess you'd say that I wholesale them. I sold my S for 18K. It needed an engine rebuild and it was in primer. The fellow that got it spent all of a few minutes deciding to buy it sight unseen. His prerogative. 10K for a motor and not that much for painting since the pre paint work was done, say 2-3K and he's home free with 30K in a super car. Not too much, not too little.

He sold it instead to the hungry Europeans and took a quick profit. Alas, I digress once again. Suffice to say I'm in the wholesale market, that's it. Buy 'em cheap, have fun and sell 'em cheap. Life's too short to try for even another grand. But, I won't put myself in a position to loose more than my labor, insurance, parts and maintenance. That's enough.

I hope by expressing my philosophy that anyone can understand where I'm coming from. I don't love cars. None are sacred or I don't want them if they are. But I love what I can do with them.

At least people who saw my last 2 Porsches thought they were cool. I got no less than 3 people who said my 911 was the best one at the 2005 Montery Treffen. That's 2 more than I needed.