Thread: pull switches for twin plug ignition

pull switches for twin plug ignition

Can anyone tell me the applications for which the interior pull switches were used on twin plug set ups? I believe they were used on at least the R and maybe RSR? Anyone know how they were wired and how they were used (e.g., normally in the "out" position and then pushed in to disable the upper and lower ignition)? In the LHD R's, I have seen them located in the same spot--on the far left of the ignition switch. TIA for the info and any pics you can provide.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

here are two pics I found off of this website:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Twin plug switchs.

Hello: The twin plug dash switchs wre also used on the 914-6gt and some 935's. If I can remember correctly the switchs are on when out and off when pushed in. I'll have to check my switchs to see how they operate the cd boxs. The switchs I have are out of the car so I can check them. The hard part is finding them. Thanks Eric

Eric, thank you. I just bought a set that look just like the ones in the top picture (the pulls have a small dimple and a chrome retaining nut with a serated periphery). Don't know if they're "authentic" but they look like they fill the bill anyway. I would appreciate very much any info you could give on how they are hooked up. I will be running two 6-pin CDI boxes to run an SC twin plug conversion from Supertec. I assume that each switch somehow kills the power to each box.

Also, are these two pull switches the only means for cutting power in the cabin, or is there another switch that is used to kill the battery or fuel pump? Finally, I'm assuming that the typical battery kill switch is used on the exterior of the vehicle near the driver side wiper on the cowl? I have already obtained this silver Bosch kill switch that I have also seen mounted in the dash speaker.

I don't need a dash mounted horn switch since I will be running a silver prototipo with an operable horn pad.
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric911S
    Hello: The twin plug dash switchs wre also used on the 914-6gt and some 935's. If I can remember correctly the switchs are on when out and off when pushed in. I'll have to check my switchs to see how they operate the cd boxs. The switchs I have are out of the car so I can check them. The hard part is finding them. Thanks Eric
    Eric:

You're right,......I used to race RSR's & 935's that had these and those switches are a plunger type that are open when depressed and closed when pulled.

I have some here and just checked to be sure,...

Carl Thompson used to have them, but he sold his whole inventory (ex-Vasek Polak) to Friesinger Racing in Germany. They will not be cheap anymore.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Anyone find info on how these are wired to the boxes? Thanks.
    Bill G.

Bill, this link will show a 911R wiring diagram for the 901/22 engine

www.pbase.com/911r/image/24220608/original
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Wow, great resource! Thanks!
    Bill G.