Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Dashes major price increase

Just Dashes major price increase

Just for the record, thanks to everyone who provided me with feeback on the Just Dashes company. You can read most yourself, but to summarize, most were not impressed, most recommended I buy a replacement.

Just Dashes has increased their prices to $650 plus $120 for the speaker cover. They provided the same BS about Market value, basically saying the because it is a high priced car we can get it and the NOS is breaking because they were made so long ago.

I did not buy into it and requested they return my dash. That alone cost me $61.00. So long story short.......be sure you want them to do your work or it will cost you. By the way they also refused to give me a price until I sent them the dash. Hows that for making money on the turn around!

Any one else recoving these things?
    Best,
    Rich
    rich-911

Porsche is having problems with the quality of their replacement dashes. I just went through three and never did get one to fit decent. I ended up cutting the snaps off my defroster vent cover and super gluing it to the dash to help hide the poor fit around the defroster vent. One dash even had the speaker grill adhesived to the dash. I think there is a business opportunity for Tony at Autobahn Interiors. Does he monitor this board? Hey Tony are ya out there?
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Tony @ Autobahn repairs/restores dashes.
    He just did a spare dash I have in German vinyl for $375 including the speaker
    cover.

Why go anywhere else ?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

This dash thing is as bad now as it was back in the early 80's. There has never been a perfect fitting one that I've used and I've done around 4 of them.

There are choices:

1) Hog out the existing attachment holes.
    2) Drill new ones to mount it where you "wish" it were.
    3) Live with it because like so many replacement parts; they don't make them like they used to.
    4) Do something really drastic like buying a SWB car. Dash issues are a non-event.

None of these "solutions" are great choices.
    The Just Dashes people are doing exactly what I expect a company to do if has a hot commodity. Economics takes over and you "make hay while the sun shines". How many of these things are you going to buy in a lifetime? I venture to guess, not many.

Remember we are the group that is so proud of our cars skyrocketing values . You'd give it up for R Wheels which have tripled or quadrupled and sport seats are beating at the $5,000 mark now.

How is a $650 dash going to hurt when a new one is twice that doesn't fit and will soon cost even more as well!

Fuel prices will have an affect on everything you touch. Hide and watch.

Best,

Tom

Type 911 - Can you post some photos of the one you had recovered? I would like to see how it turned out. Sounds like a great alternative and it would alleviate the current poor fit problems of the current offerings. I bought one from Porsche in the late 80's for my dad's car we were restoring and was suprised by all of the work it took to get in. I thought it would be a direct replacement. After "shoehorning" the thing in, the fit was horrible, especially where it met the door moulding. The angle was all wrong. We were pretty peeved! There is definitely a market out there for this.

I'll post photos in a week...my wife is out of town w/ the digital camera.
    Dash is not installed, but I can take detailed photos of the finished product.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295

Quote Originally Posted by Type911
    I'll post photos in a week...my wife is out of town w/ the digital camera.
    Dash is not installed, but I can take detailed photos of the finished product.
    Please do. I have decent one with a large (1/4" gap) crack in the back by the speaker grill. I would think a skilled person could do a decent repair without an entire recover. I also have a speaker grill that bows slight inward, but is absolutely perfect otherwise. Anyone got an idea on how to flatten it out?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

What about getting a cracked dash covered in leather?

Tony can handle it, feel free to call him on your own.

http://www.autobahninteriors.com/pages/3/index.htm
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295

Man.. if Tony does them thats the way to go. His work is top notch. I wish I would have known before I put myself through the new dash torture.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue