Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Lines - Source? Sizes?

Fuel Lines - Source? Sizes?

While everything is apart continued...

For those of you following my saga, I am up to replacing all of the fuel lines on my 73.5T. The supply line leaving the tunnel is 9mm. I can't find a source that has high pressure line that large. The largest Pelican has is 8mm and they told me I could use that and force it on. I would like to use the right size unless it just doesn't exist.

Does any one have a good source for metric hp fuel lines besides them?

At some point in the car's history it stopped running and would not start. It was traced to the fuel pump which was then moved to the front of the car. I am not sure why. The replacement line I pulled off was 3/8 sae (blasphemy!) and it ran into a threaded reducing fitting that went into the original line with the swaged fitting. Got all that? Me neither. I am amazed that it did not leak with all of the connections/contortions. I am also amazed at the condition of all of the lines period, and the fact that they did not leak. So far that is the only thing I have found that is bastardized. I am sure there is more. At least I am putting things back together.

If you haven't checked your lines lately, it is probably not a bad idea.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I have always had good luck at the larger Industrial Hydraulic Hose shops in my area. Many of them stock all kinds of metric hose and fittings. Most liley you will find what you need. They are also good in that they can swage the hoses to your fittings.

Given what the factory hose assemblies cost from Por$che nowadays you can save a significant chunk of change. I had a hydraulic shop repair the short hose in the engine compartment that connects the fuel line to the accumulator at a cost of $10. They reused my fitting and added new hose. The part from Por$che was well north of $60.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    www.classicandspeedparts.com

if they dont have it on their website, call them.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

Fuel pump in front.

Hello: If I was you I would leave the fuel pump in the front like the early and late cars. Look at a SC or 69 car to see how the setup is. If the pump is in the back it is a long way away from the fuel tank. Thanks Eric

Red face

I am not planning on moving the pump back right now but am just replacing the lines. I just want to get the car back on the road but want it safe. The weather is finally nice here and I am really getting the itch to drive!! My son keeps asking when it will be done too so the pressure is on.

Steve,

You are smart to accept no substitutes. What you want is "COHLINE" which is the correct German hose, in the right size, with the correct outer braid.

Here's the rub: Cohline would prefer it if you were a global Tier 1 automotive supplier in order to trade with you. Neil Mangia can get Cohline stuff, but you need to order in sufficient quantity to make it worth it. His contact information, and genuine minimum quantity guidance, can be found here:

http://www.newcoproducts.com/cohline/gateway_page.htm

Search here or on Pelican under my name for "Cohline" for more info, it's about SWB cars but might be helpful to you.

And do NOT, under any circumstances, lose the plastic "t" fittings or the mysterious restrictor in the return line. If that means CAREFULLY opening the return line to find it, so be it, that sucka is NLA NLA NLA. . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I just purchased some Cohline pieces from the Porsche dealer. Expensive, but not ridiculous. Why go crazy shopping for this stuff?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Thanks John. That is what I am looking for. By the way, I did break one of the plastic T fittings. I was able to source a brass reduction T fitting that is similar size that should work. Where is the mysterious restrictor typically located? I haven't seen anything like that in my system. A lot of things were altered with the fuel pump relocate. Amazingly it runs good.

Tom - Normally I would agree, but... I did go to my local Porsche dealer (which shall remain nameless) and just got frustrated. I took my old lines and sat and waited for 45 minutes only to be finally told that the only person in their warehouse that could match them up was busy and they didn't know when they would get to it. The guy behind the counter wasn't even sure what size fuel lines they stocked. Not a good way to do business. I will have to try another dealer.

The key to dealing with the dealers is to get PET, or go to Porsche's website where they have posted the same information, and look up the part numbers yourself. You have to be ready to accept responsibility if you order the wrong thing, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. And, for the dealer's it's a piece of cake to order stuff by the numbers. I have had exactly one part wrong in thousands of dollars of stuff that I purchased from my local dealer, and they give me prices that are competitive with, or better than, the aftermarket. Why not, their labor costs are very small when I look up the parts numbers myself. Also, it helps to find a parts guy who's been around for a while. My parts guy has around 30 years of experience, and every order is wrapped and tagged perfectly. I get infinitely better service than any aftermarket supplier has given me. Also, Porsche has an excellent, though pricey, rebuild program for distributors, etc.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA