Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trombone cooler, 1973, parts description

Trombone cooler, 1973, parts description

Guys,
    Having collected all the parts that I thought I needed to add a front Trombone oil cooler to my 73 coupe with an MFI 2.7 engine, I looked at the 72/73 Parts catalog, Group 1, Plate 1/6/2 and noticed some parts that don't make sense to me.

Reference # 53 (regulator insert), 54 (joint ring) and 55 (locking screw) show up on the picture for the front oil cooler but do not show up on the picture of the engine oil set up without a front external cooler.

First, apologies for not being technically astute enough to figure out how to attach a copy of the picture from the parts manual. Then the questions:

1. What do these parts do?
    2. Where do they attach?
    3. What happens if they are not there?

Thanks for the help

John, member # 322

Hey John,
    I couldn't find the #s you were refering to but this is off the PET disc for a 73 front cooler setup. If you could pick the #s off of this I may be able to help.
    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Wow, microscopic. I'll try to resize or you can PM your email address.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Bigger yet???
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Guys,

It's items 10,11,12 in the lower righthand corner; the parts that look like they might plug into the hole in the lowest part of the oil tank (Where the flexible "S" hose from the engine mounted oil cooler goes into the oil tank). What the heck do these parts do? And where (to what?) are they mounted?

And most important: Thanks for the help in getting a picture associated with this post. My compliments to all you high tech types.

John, member #322

Part# 10) 911 107 152 00 Regulator Insert
    11) 900 123 136 30 Sealing Ring A42 X 49 AL
    12) 911 107 155 00 Screw Plug
    Sorry never seen these unless they have been on the tank and didn't notice them.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Rick,

Turns out that these parts are the guts of the external oil thermostat and are the pieces that regulate when/if the thermostat opens to allow flow to the trombone cooler.

The 73 external oil thermostat appears to be a 'one year only' part and these three things go inside the thermostat underneath the cover plate that has the large slot in it.

Thanks for your help in posting the pictures.

Now all I have to do is engineer a oil line from the engine to the thermostat to replace the 'engine to oil tank' line. My local dealer wants $400.00 for it, but I think I can do a local manufacture from a extra one that I have lying around.

John

Yep that line is expensive but they might be giving you a discount because I bought mine from Stoddard for $523 if I remember correctly. They may be quoting you the regular line price. Either way you my be able to use the regular line that you already have and get a longer line crimped. Most Napa stores make haudraulic lines and can do it. I do have a 30mm fitting if you need it.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I just looked at the line and it has a 90 where it goes into the stat. Sorry don't have one of those.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Rick,

Thanks for looking.

Here's my plan: I have a 'normal' 1973 engine-to-oil-tank line that I took apart and had replated. I also have a threaded 1971 engine oil cooler to 1971oil tank line that has a couple 90 degree fittings. My plan is to take one of the ends with the 90 degree bend and the threaded coupling from the 71 line and have it grafted to the 'normal' under engine oil line at my local hydralic shop. The challenge now is to make sure that I get the dimension of the flexible portion of the line correct.

Where are you located by the way? I owe you a shot of sarsparilla for all your help.

John