Thread: 915 Clutch Problem

Question 915 Clutch Problem

I am trying to do everything right, so in the process of doing my clutch I bought a new throw-out bearing fork. I was test fitting prior to installation and found that the fork does not fit into the throw-out bearing. The part that actually pulls the bearing is too thick and does not go into the slot. I matched everything up to the old and everything is the same (including the part numbers) except for the fork. Has anyone else had this problem? The fork is part number 915.116.712.1R. The part manual lists 915.116.712.01 but the 1R number is the same as what came off of the car. I got the new one from Pelican and called their support line. The guy told me to just clearance the fork so it fits.

Has anyone else seen had this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

915 throw out fork

Hello: Not to sound nasty but do you have the fork on the right way? I had a customer put the fork on backwards. He had the fork on upside down. I personally have not had any problems at all and just did one last week. I change those release forks at the same time that I change the clutch. The 944 Turbos are real bad for breaking the forks and they cost alot more than the 915 ones. Good luck and let us know what you find. Thanks Eric

Smile Problem Solved

Hi Eric,

I thought of that too but was sure I had it right. It just simply did not fit. I took the part to Stoddard this morning to match up to one of theirs and sure enough they were considerably different despite identical part numbers. Theirs fit perfectly like it should so I bought it. Now I have to send the Pelican one back. I already called them and they said it was not problem to return. I am not sure where they sourced it but it is not right. I wasn't comfortable with their advice of grinding it to fit either. It was about $40 cheaper than at Stoddard but at this point it really wasn't. My son made out on the deal though as he got to go see some new Porsches and got ice cream to boot. In the end everybody is happy.

Thanks,

-Steve

915 release fork

Hello: Good to hear you got your problem solved. The only thing that I can think of is that the one from Pelican was made on a Friday before a long weekend. It is odd that they told you just to grind it though. It sounds like they have had this problem before? I used to live in Canada and Stoddard's was a great place to go for there swap meet and see there shop. They are a great Porsche shop compared to ours here. Sounds like you are starting your son on the right foot as well. Cool cars and ice cream what could be better. Thanks Eric

Thumbs up Back together!

Everything is back together. I worked all of last weekend and got it done. I have a dead battery so the car won't crank. I am going to get one tonight and will hopefully be back in business by day's end! Thanks to all who offered help and suggestions throughout the process.
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)

Smile It runs!

After several months of work it runs! What started as a half hour fix of my throttle linkage turned into engine removal, new engine seals, new fuel lines, clutch and cable, bead blasted/painted engine tin. After a little burp, it started right up and hasn't missed a beat since. I went on a 30 minute shakedown run and I have a few items to tweak but overall it runs great. I couldn't be happier.

About a minute after I started it in the driveway I noticed my son standing in the door with a huge grin. It was about 9:30pm and he was tucked away in bed. My wife said he heard it start and bolted out of bed for the door. I am not sure which one of us was more excited. I am sure I had the same grin. Tonight is my 6 year anniversary of owning the car. It has been a good six years. I guess we will make it to the Stoddard swap meet after all!

Thanks again to all that helped! I am going to have a beer!
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)