Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black 3.8 gone in the wind.

Black 3.8 gone in the wind.

Since I have had a few calls and PM's over the last couple of days here is the story....Friday afternoon my 3.8 IROC RSR clone was hit in the right rear quarter on the way to the Oregon coast. Coming down a long shady stretch entering a 4 way intersection on a rural highway, there was a log truck in the left hand turn lane and a 92 4Runner waiting to turn right, in front of me. The truck had the right away but he waved to 4Runner on so he could make the corner. The only problem is the 4Runner never looked he just went. I was doing about 50 mph's when he pulled right out in front of me. My only hope was to punch it. I yelled out loud common, common, common... the 3.8 almost squeezed through the tip of the triangle, then at about 75mph's SMACK he clipped me. Spun me off the road, I hit the top of the ditch totally sideways, the windshield flew about 40 feet, the car is totaled. Both RSR trailing arms gone, 11 inch RSR wheels will need a Harvey miracle to save them.

This is the 3rd time this car has been smashed. When I bought it, it just got out of the shop, some of you might have remembered it in Blue on the cover of Excellence about 3 years ago. It was Rgruppe car of the year. the entire car was swapped over the the Black 77 turbo tub. It had about 2,000 miles on it when it got popped again. Maybe 3rd time's a charm.

Here is what I need help with? What car should I use for the rebuild.

Option #1: I have a 87 Carrera non sunroof G50 car, 87k very nice. I can add turbo front fenders and weld on the rears, add the IROC bumpers, drop in the drive train and go.

Option #2: Buy a 76 or 77 turbo tub and do the swap. That is if I can find a set of RSR trailing arms?

Any thoughts???? I am leaning toward the G50 but I would have to cut up a perfectly good driver.

All you guy's are concerned about canyon runs, That intersection averages 4 accidents a month. I would take an Rgruppe run any day.

Any input from the experts would be greatly appreciated, Smith thinks he already has it figured out? A second opinion or two won't hurt.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have no opinion on what to do about the car, I'm just so sorry that your car got shunted. Glad you seem to be physically OK, that's the important thing.

On another note, what can we learn from this? I'm serious. I have been driving for, let's see, 44 years or so and back in "my day" we always slowed for an intersection. I see no one does that anymore. Many times they cruise thru a local business district intersection at the speed limit with no idea of where the light sequence might be. This invariably leads to more red lights being run.

I always look ahead several blocks to "read" the light and time them to my best advantage. Sometimes I miss a problem developing be being the slowest guy to enter. I'm not sure I would have had the reaction time to have hit the gas, or the nerve.

Just wondering, if you had to do it over again, what would you advise? NO sarcasm here.

It would be a shame to take apart a perfectly good car, I would find a donor tub and build what you want. Sorry to here about car, I'm glad you are OK. Maybe the thing is cursed, I had a Subaru like that one, car got wrecked about once a month, always something very wierd.
    Phil

Sounds like you have everything under control. full speed ahead.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Glad your ok.....A turbo tub seems to me to be less body work and more "factory"
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have no opinion on what to do about the car, I'm just so sorry that your car got shunted. Glad you seem to be physically OK, that's the important thing.

On another note, what can we learn from this? I'm serious. I have been driving for, let's see, 44 years or so and back in "my day" we always slowed for an intersection. I see no one does that anymore. Many times they cruise thru a local business district intersection at the speed limit with no idea of where the light sequence might be. This invariably leads to more red lights being run.

I always look ahead several blocks to "read" the light and time them to my best advantage. Sometimes I miss a problem developing be being the slowest guy to enter. I'm not sure I would have had the reaction time to have hit the gas, or the nerve.

Just wondering, if you had to do it over again, what would you advise? NO sarcasm here.

I have stopped at this same intersection in a 55 mph zone before to avoid an accident. I was slowing to 50mph's. It happened so quickly that the only choice I had was to punch it or plow into the log truck. I have spent the last 3 day's thinking about what would have happened if I would have hit the breaks. I would have either went right under the 4Runner or hit the Log truck. Neither of those options would have put me on my jet ski today. I feel very lucky.

JB~

Glad you're healthy buddy, but sad to hear that that big beautiful black beast is now toast.

I have reflected on the morbid history of your drivetrain and I am forced to conclude that it may indeed be cursed.

And I don't want any of that bad karma to possibly rub off onto RS #197!!! So my recommendation is that you have Smith build a '73 2.8L RSR clone starting with whatever pieces he can scavenge from your carcass. Then when he is done, have him send your send the finished product down to my garage for a few months, during which time I will do everything I can to exorcise the demons with some early morning runs on some desolate twisties.

Wait a minute - am I still allowed to do that on public roads?????

We'll talk soon. Best regards

Wolf
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Joe, sorry to hear that. One of the slickest cars around built from 2 really nice cars before it. Fun to have you on the Bonneville run.

I have to agree though. 3 totals and no one hurt. Part it out and start over before the curse catches up with someone and we loose more than just a cool car.

It is silly I know but I am serious. Scatter the parts to the wind and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfturbo
    JB~

Glad you're healthy buddy, but sad to hear that that big beautiful black beast is now toast.

I have reflected on the morbid history of your drive train and I am forced to conclude that it may indeed be cursed.

And I don't want any of that bad karma to possibly rub off onto RS #197!!! So my recommendation is that you have Smith build a '73 2.8L RSR clone starting with whatever pieces he can scavenge from your carcass. Then when he is done, have him send your send the finished product down to my garage for a few months, during which time I will do everything I can to exorcise the demons with some early morning runs on some desolate twisties.

Wait a minute - am I still allowed to do that on public roads?????

We'll talk soon. Best regards

Wolf
    I thought I would send the remains to you. You could scatter them over the Sonoma Valley, That way we can drive like crazy up and down 101 for the rest of our years.

I will keep you posted on the new donor car. The car seems to get better every time. I can't wait to get started on the new project.

We talk soon.

Joe,

Why don't you use the tub from #197 its not much good anyway Rob tells me once you get past the forged vin!!!!!

Sorry about the loss mate glad your OK so we can hit the fairways together one day in the not too distant future. The fright might have fixed those short game yips!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6