Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction New Zealand licence plate

Reproduction New Zealand licence plate

Anyone out there know how I get a correct NZ black plate reproduction license plate for the front of the RS? Weren't those used up to the mid-80's? I think it would look pretty cool to put one back on.

Here is a photo showing the car with a front plate.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

No New Zealand plates per se, but check out the European Black Plate...

http://www.licenseplates.tv/product_...oducts_id/4081

Just ordered a California vintage license plate to replace one that was missing and the quality was superb, at about $75 and a one-week wait.

Only trick is they can't send it to you directly if you live in the state of the plate you are requesting. But then, I don't suppose that will matter to you!

Not an endorsement, don't work for these guys, etc.

pete

brian

i'm in australia and recently bought a 2.4E in from new zealand that had a period 'black plate'. they are quite sought after and mine has already been claimed by a kiwi mate. they have a neat machined finish on the numbers/letters.

my understanding is that you can no longer get them. i'll check this is correct and get back to you. his plan is to apply for a matching 'modern' vanity plate and then run the old one in its place.

ps. you can see the plate on my car here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=10556
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Keep yer eyeballs on Ebay New Zealand: http://pages.ebay.com/nz/
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Those guys say they can replicate just about anything from a photo, including vintage CA or MI "MFG" or dealer plates...

Wonder if they couldn't get the plate right, stamp it, and machine the letters instead of painting them? Might get pricey, but might be cheaper than the real ones depending on how dear they are.

Also, you can get it to say anything...

I love the vintage MFG plates...would make a car on the grass at a show look like a period press car. Oh wait, who cares about cars on grass -- or press cars?!?

Man, I've been in this business too long...

pete

Thanks guys for the info.

Ryan,

I thought they looked machined based on one I saw on eBay for sale. I am not looking for an old one, but would like to have one made up that reads 'KJ911'. Cool plate on your car! I wonder if KJ has any significance at all?

Pete,

Maybe what I should do is buy one off eBay (thanks Kenik) and then send it to the company you have listed to see if they can make one up like the original but with the #s and letters I want.

On a side note the NZ owner who sent me the photos of the car when he owned it sent an original set of black and red keys and also has the Swiss plate from when the car was registered there before importation. He wants to keep that for now though.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

The NZ plates are similar to the old English plates. They are sold in some of the English magazines such as Classic cars. If you have any problem getting them I can try and get some from the UK.

Stephen

Vintage License Plates

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    . . . No New Zealand plates per se, but check out the European Black (UK?) Plate...

http://www.licenseplates.tv/product_...oducts_id/4081

. . .
    Don't know if you're still looking, Bryan, but . . .

. . . The outfit listed above is still around, and --- according to this site . . .
    http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

. . . the NZ plates, from '64 to '86, s/b aluminum letters on a black back-round --- same as the vintage UK plate, so . . .

. . . if you still want 'em . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks Rick. I hadn't thought about this in a few years. I did pick up a few AL on black vintage plates from NZ, but nothing close to the plates that were on the RS when it lived there.

The owner in NZ did send me the temporary Swiss plates they used for 6 months after they bought the car before they exported it to NZ. At least that is something.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Damn Brian, that could so easily have been my car in that old Porsche Club of NZ photo. Mine is also a red, 1971 but I rushed to check the rego records and my old plate was FF 911. So close!
    Nick

1971 2.2S, Bahia Red

Early 911S # 2534
    TYP901 # 264
    Porsche Club of NSW