Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% Ethanol questions

10% Ethanol questions

I've read many of the reports on Ethanol. Does anyone have real firsthand information on it's effects on our older 911's with MFI, CIS injection and carbs? Has anyone been running this 10% blend for a while? Any effect on fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel tanks etc.
    Thanks all,
    Bobby

I've been running my 72T MFI car on the CA gas (if you can call it gas) for a couple of years and no ill effects as far as I can tell - but I think the trick is to drive it and not let it sit. A slight increase in pilot jet size may be required for carbs. Ethanol does not have the same stoichio as gas, so I think the engine sees this as a slightly leaner mixture.
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Smith
    I've read many of the reports on Ethanol. Does anyone have real firsthand information on it's effects on our older 911's with MFI, CIS injection and carbs? Has anyone been running this 10% blend for a while? Any effect on fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel tanks etc.
    Thanks all,
    Bobby
    Change your fuel filter regularly. It will attract water and also loosen stuff in your tank you don't know about.
    The stuff is corrosive as well and not nearly as good as gasoline. 10% is not a problem BUT higher percentages will cause you headaches. Fortunately for now there are very few cars that can run on the E85 blend.

Did you know that our fearless leaders didn't realize you couldn't pump Ethanol through a pipeline because it was corrosive and as such they were directly guilty for the recent gas station shut downs we had on the East Coast as well as pricing issues (uh-huh).
    The product has to be trucked into the terminals and then mixed. Who is at the wheel here?

We are fortunate because in the country we don't get Ethanol. We actually get gasoline without MTBE (the stinky now outlawed chemical) or Ethanol (which is better served over ice).

And iffin' we was to use corn it woodn't bee fer no dadburn car, dummy.

Tom

I'm completely ignorant on this subject(well not completely, but might as well be) but would a small amout of something like Techron with each and every tank full help? I'm sure the chemists somewhere have an antidote.

I only use my Orange 73 for auto-x these days, so I'm going to buy race fuel. It really won't be that expensive since it only runs a few miles every other weekend. I'm already seeing some rough starting problems with my Ford E350 V-10 and a buudy of mine is a BMW tech and he reports multiple fuel pump and fuel filter failures. We will see how things progress.
    Bobby

Bobby here is some info on the ethanol fuel we have down under, don't know how relevant it is to you guys but it could be helpful. http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...r_extreme.html This is the general info on the Shell Optimax Etreme 100 with 5 percent Ethanol, the next one is the recommended vehichle list http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2.../00000005.html if you follow the links around this site I am sure you will find some very interesting info.

Further interesting fact is that at the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar car event at Adelaide earlier this year the competing cars all use Shell Optimax Extreme as they are a major sponsor of the V8 Supercar series. A large percentage of these cars had major fuel system problems from fuel pump failure to fuel hoses and fuel tank liners and foam corroding causing so much trouble that the fuel was withdrawn from the event and BP supplied fuel to the competing cars for that weekend.

THIS IS WHAT WE HAD BEEN TOLD BY SOMEONE WHO SPENT A LOT OF THE WEEKEND RECTIFYING FUEL SYSTEMS!

Another interesting point is the flash point of petrol and Ethanol is about 10-15 degrees apart. Also as far as I know both Porsche and Ferrari do not recommend the use of Ethanol fuels.
    Hope this is useful.

so what are we to do with these early cars?
    is running any ethanol mix a bad idea?

That's what we're trying to find out. That is the purpose of this post. Thanks to everyone that has made a comment. Keep them coming. We still have not found anyone with concrete evidence that ethanol has hurt their early car.
    Personally, I'm worried about it. We recently got ethanol here in VA. Mostly the larger towns. I understand that you can still buy the (non-ethanol) in some of the more rural areas. It may take a while for problems to start here. I'm really looking for comments from folks that have been running E-10 for a while.
    Bobby

I understand that you can still buy the (non-ethanol) in some of the more rural areas. Bobby
    Maybe I should start bootlegging the real stuff from here in the country? Been done before although it was 100+ proof and never corroded anything it hit except brain cells.

Tom

I understand that you can still buy the (non-ethanol) in some of the more rural areas. Bobby
    Maybe I should start bootlegging the real stuff from here in the country?
    Shucks, it's been done before although it was 100+ proof and never corroded anything other than competency.
    Those who used it were always happy unlike those who pay $3.00 plus per gallon for something they find ways to worry over.

Best,

Tom