Thread: 67 S tire question - tube or tubeless

67 S tire question - tube or tubeless

Hello guys,
    A friend has a 67 S with the factory 4.5" Fuchs. He wants to be as original as possible with the tires.
    Coker offers a XWX Mich and a XAS Mich. Both Rick Cabel and Coker felt that the XWX would be the most appropriate choice, but that is a tubeless tire.
    What have those of you with 67S's done in the past to be accurate and safe?
    Thanks
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

anyone anyone....Bueller...Bueller
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

You can run tubeless tires on those rims safely with the right valve stem, if that is what you want to know. The lack of a safety bead is not critical, I just wouldn't run low pressures and corner hard.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tubeless work fine. I think you can only get the XAS in a 165 though.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

He should be fine running tubes in the tubeless tires.

XWX will not fit and is not made in the correct size

I'm sure Rick is referring to a LWB car running 6 inch wheels. To get away with 6 inch wheels on a SWB car you could not run the XWX as the tire is too big. Not to say you couldn't jack it up to a Jeep ride height but...

XAS or XZX are your rubber.

The XWX was not a factory tire until the 185/70VR15 was used on a 6 inch rim. It is entirely too large for a 4.5 inch wheel. The 70 Series XWX is a BIG tire. It was a great tire in its day and for show I'd use them in a minute but for what they cost you'd be better served by a number of tires that will approximate the "Aspect Ratio" of the 185/70 tire, however, as this was NOT a factory offered tire for the '67 911 or any SWB car, it really doesn't matter.

Here's the scoop:

In the case of your friends '67 911; The "correct" choice is a 165/15. The XAS would be my first choice. The XZX would be next. And, as Michelin goes, that's about it. They are still making them but be prepared for sticker shock. They are expensive. I bought 5 for my 4.5 Fuchs restorations that Harvey Weidman did last year. They look great on the wheels and I couldn't be happier. Does the car handle as well? Who cares? It's friggin' 40 years old next year!!!

Good luck,

Tom

Wow, that is good information.

Does anyone know what the closest tire to a firestone "Phoenix" would be in terms of dimensions (165/15 size) or tread pattern?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen