Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix Ignition Problem?

Pertronix Ignition Problem?

Just got a 68 911L 2.0. The car acts like it intermitently starves for fuel. So far carbs have been rebuilt, fuel tank restored, fuel pressure reset to 4 psi, float level set with PMO gauge, accelerator pump flow checked. Car has a replacement Facet electric fuel pump with Holley pressure regulator which should have adequate flow. Down to thinking it must be ignition. Has a Pertronix unit installed when I got the car, replaced cap and rotor with correct rev limiting rotor. The rotor that was in the car was not a revlimiting type and the base of the rotor was ground down to clear the Pertronix module. There was evidence of the rotor rubbing the module. Is this a normal installation? There seems to be inadaquate clearence between the rotor and the module. Anyone had experience with one of these units acting wierd?

Have you checked the flow volume of the Facet? If you are speaking of fuel starvation after a run up in RPMs, that may be the problem. I have had negative experiences with the Facet. Good for VWs, methinks.

On the clearance and pertronix issues, I don't know. But, I bet if you did a fairly good search on Pelican (they just upgraded the search facility and it's great!), you will find a very good answer if one is not forthcoming here. Pay attention to anything Early_S_Man has to say, although, IIRC, he is not a Pertronix fan.

Mine has run flawlessly. I am a believer.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

FWIW,..I've had nothing but HUGE grief from Facet fuel pumps in each and every case and replacement would be at the top of my list here,....

IMHO, they are simply a curse.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Thanks for the imput. Will replace fuel pump today. And keep you posted.

Fuel pumps.

Hello: Where is the fuel pump located? If it is in the rear engine bay I would move it to the front under the fuel tank. The small Facet pump is too small of volume for the the 6 cylinder cars and you don't need the regulator with it. I use a rotary pump. Remember to install the rotary pump in the front under the fuel tank. Thanks Eric

I agree that it may be the pump, although I would revisit the distributor as well. Your 68 early distributor takes a different pertronix box than later ones. For a while, many modified the later ones to fit. Pertronix now makes the correct fit for your car...
    If it is rubbing on the rotor, something is wrong and could be affecting the advance curve. Remember to check the advance at 6000RPM to be 30-35BTDC. Setting just the static timing on these cars is a no no.
    I have been very happy with pertronix matched with a good CDI box in my 68 and 67...this will make a huge difference in lower rev running and start-up. Also, your plugs will last much longer.
    As far as installing the pump out of the engine well, you can either go near the LHS bananna arm like the <74 cars or go into the smugglers box (although the closer to the tank the better as pumps tend to like to push v pull). Either way make sure you mount to rubber isolators and use a good pump like the bosch pump.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Fuel pump mount

Hello: I mount the fuel pump below the fuel tank, just like the 78-83 911 sc's. The later cars did this to help with the vapor lock problems that some of the early cars had. You will have to run wires to the pump and make a bracket to hang the pump. Also if the pump is under the tank it will run cooler and not have a fuel pickup problem. Thanks Eric

Changed the fuel pump to one I had sitting around its an AC Delco with 5/16 outlets. The pump had been moved to the front by the previous owner. I had previously check distributor advance and it's Ok. It gets intersting from here. The car lost most of the previous symptons on the first drive. Had a couple of small pops, however, acceleration was improved. Checked carbs again air flow, idle settings, synchronization, full travel of butterflies, and linkage angles. By this time engine temp gauge was around 170. On the next drive it was as if I had made no inprovement it was worst that ever. Did pay attention to tach and it never stopped working. Will try again in the morning with a cold engine and if it better I will start looking further into the ignition. Still open to suggestions will keep you posted.

Hello: Do you have a fuel filter in front of the pump? What may be happening is the pump is getting plugged or starved of fuel so it won't supply the carbs. You could also have lots of crud in the tank that is doing the same thing to the supply line. If it is ignition try changing the coil first. Sometimes the coils foul up when they get hot otherwise they work fine. You could also try the old rotor in it as well. I've had the rev limiting rotors go bad at the track thats why you carry a spare standard rotor in the glove box. Lastly do you have a cd box in the car? Good luck and don't worry you'll find the problem. Thanks Eric