Thread: Fan and alternator?

Fan and alternator?

I have just removed the fan, fanhousing and the alternator. It was corroded and dirty and I wanted to try do get it nice and shiny again, just as the examples I have seen in another thread at this board. The picture shows the work halv done after many hours......

When I removed the fan/alternator from the housing I heard a rattling sound inside the alternator and when I shook it, the small halvmoon metal piece fell out. Is it supposed to be inside the alternator or do you think it has fallen into the alternator from somewhere else, or just left there by mistake?

One more question, the ground strap behind the alternator is connected to one of the bolts that connect the two halves of the case. Can I remove this bolt and change the ground trap without doing any damage or do I have to change the bolt, will I risk a oil leak?

Please see the pictures

John
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Thats the woodruff key I would take the pulley off the altnator and make sure there is one still installed I would think you are safe to remove the strap I would just retorque the nut

hello: You will have to take the fan off the alternator shaft to find where the woodruff key goes. When you put the key in the shaft make sure it does not fall out again or slip up behind the fan. You can put a little grease on the shaft and key to hold it in place and stop rust. Thanks Eric

Plastic cover behind alternator

I might need a new plastic cover behind the alternator. It has cracks around the mounting holes, and a small piece from one of the mounting holes has broken off. Is this part possible to get hold of or do any of you have a nice one available?

I will follow your advice and try to remove the fan. Last night i carefully tried with a rubber hammer but could not get it of. I guess I will have to try again with some wd 40/heat or some thing. I am also wondering if I should just polish the fan and housing or treat it with something.

Thanks to you guys that answered my questions.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Fan is off.......

WD-40 and a rubber hammer did the trick, the fan is off and the woodruf key is in its place ? The other woodruf key must have been misplaced or may have fallen into the alternator at sometime. I found out that the plastic air cover behind the alternator is still available from Porsche so I ordered a new one. It was 100$ for it. I will try to get hold of brushes for my Marchal alternator, on another tread I got a tip that Volvo 140 had the same.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931