Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's go to Mexico! Fall event

Let's go to Mexico! Fall event

Hello everyone
    Check out this idea for a fall '06 run for us. Early S and R Gruppe members. This incorporates some terrific roads on both sides of the border

I would like to take this opportunity to give you a quick "tour" of what i have in mind for R Gruppe run that we can do later this year (in the fall) or early next year. As you may, or may not, know I've been doing a backroads weekend "rally/tour", for several years, from Alpine (located about 1/2 hour drive east of San Diego off the 8) thru usa side excellent back roads- julian, dulzura and we stop at the border xing in tecate. We cross as a group , meet my Ensenada based partner at the border. Then after doing a tour of the Tecate brewery, we take off over the windy hills/roads leading from tecate to ensenada. We do it in "stages" where we go for about 20-25 minutes, then stop at each town that straddles the road so everyone (including the chase car and flat bed tow truck) can catch up. Besides allowing everyone to drive at their own pace, it keeps us from speeding through each of these towns that straddle the road.
    We do this several times with one of the stops being a very nice winery. Depending on the time of year, there are various events or entertainment at some of the stops.
    Before we get into Ensenada we stop at a restaurant and enjoy a ala carte lunch (if the group is large enough, i suggest we just include it as part of the entry fee that can be determined- do a buffet style). We can continue the experience with having mariachis show up and play for us. From lunch we do a caravan cruise into Ensenada to the HQ hotel. There are two hotels worth considering: The San Nicolas is within stumbling distance from the towns main street (Hussongs, Papas and Beer, etc) the parking, though outdoor , is in a gated lot with decent security- only guests allowed. The hotel is owned by one of the town's major business leaders and he has sponsored both Baja races and our street races. His hotel, though old, has a great central courtyard pool area, on premises nightclub, a couple of bars, and other services. The other hotel is the Marina Coral which is located on the entry to the city. everyone would have to take a taxi or drive to get to main street as it is a couple miles walk. accomodations here are excellent and the prices reflect it. Full services with excellent restaurant, pool, etc. I would leave the hotel accomodations to be done on their own with the choices clearly described.

Anyway- Friday afternoon, we can wash our cars at the hotels, relax some, then all get together directly across the street from the san nicolas at the Los Broncos Restaurant- another supporter of car clubs and tourism (and the current mayor of ensenada!) great bbq steak and chicken.

Sat get up and meet around 9:30-10 am for a caravan main road to the south for a spirited run over the free road to la mision- great curves and lots of variety- a mid way stop for refreshments/bathroom. then back over the same route to caravan on the main road to la bufadora for lunch. la bufadora (blow hole) is a tourist trap, but has great restaurants overlooking the bay with lots of parking for the gruppe. Caravan back to the hotels- then options on free night to enjoy the other restaurants/ go shopping. Sunday am we typically go to las casuelas- a terrific local restaurant- for breakfast so we get on the road to go home by 10-10:30

We go back up the highway to re-enter the usa at tecate- best xing time and least hassle to do it there.

Concerns:
    Gas- pemex is pretty darn good and usually less $$ than usa- i've run my 10.5 :1 3 liter on it flat out- no problemo- plentiful supply where we go

Policia- we are friends with one of the big commandantes of the Federales. As long as everyone is within the group and plays where we are supposed to, then its a free pass. This does not include outright stupidity of course, but they are very flexible with us. Some sections that are free of towns/civilization are pretty much wide open

Insurance- most of our cars will qualify for liability only due to their age. USA insurance does not cover south of the border claims. We must purchase insurance from an estalished mex company before we cross. we will offer contact #s so members get it in advance of the event. it is reasonable cost and a felony jail deal if you do not carry mex insurance in case of accident.

To put it bluntly, thieves there are more interested in suv's and four wheel drives than some hunk of german tin that is too low to the ground

Breakdowns- we have the flat bed at our disposal for the weekend. He accompanies us on each section along with my partner in the sweep/ last car. His cost is included in the entry fee. we can push a car back across the border so AAA can pick it up from there , in case we ever need it.

Costs: depending on the amount of cars and entertainment /food we set up for will determine the entry fee. We are thinking somewhere in the $125-150 per car entry inc Friday's lunch and some entertainment here and there- (Mariachis are actually pretty expensive to hire) Every car gets a route book, letter from secretary of tourism, letter from mayor of ensenada so if separated from the gruppe, an individual can get back on track or at least have someone to call. We would have event T shirts as well.

Some of the R Gruppe members have already responded that they want to participate in this event. Please indicate your interest and other questions here , so i can better guage the response and what else can be done with the event.
    I will post dates and other details as they become available

This event is truly memorable and a ton of fun
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

This sounds like a GREAT event Dave! I'll be meeting with some of the R Gruppe gang in Detroit Sat and this will be a topic for discussion for sure. Early 2007 would be better for me (I've got a top secret project in the works that would be PERFECT for this event and could be ready by Spring .... ) but I'll take the trusty Gray Wolf if need be in the Fall! Keep us posted. -- Curt

Date confirmed- Oct 19-22nd

Just got the news that the city of Ensenada will be happy to host our event on the weekend of Oct 19-22nd as part of their winter fair and carnival !
    This will be sooo cool as they will put aside a special secure parking area for us inside the fair grounds.

You can bet that we will have the Tecate girls aplenty for posing with us (it's kinda of a tradition whenever we do an event down there ) and it looks like we already have a porsche magazine interested in covering the event too

Me thinks this is shaping up quite nicely

more info as it develops with regards to event reg, hotel and insurance contact info
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

Hola Dave,

Si, esta auto extravaganza esta muy bien......

Count me in............. I've got it penciled into the calender.

Yehaa another road trip..................

Adios,

Senor Tallon
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

I have sombrero envy.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

T-E-C-A-T-E !! .... or is it too much tequila ?
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

If Sam and his camera are going, I can't.

Dave,
    I'd like to go. Trying to convince my wife that driving from Colo to Mexico
    in an old 911 will be fun. She gets pretty bored w/ its all cars & nothing else.
    Her comment was "I'd like to actually enjoy some of the scenery without getting tossed around for hours upon end in your car!"

Scenery looks nice, as does the Hotel San Nicolas. Any other wives planning
    on attending?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

I', In

Penciled in ...please keep me on the4 short list...anything I cn do????
    Blender will acccompany.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association