Thread: 911R Ignition

911R Ignition

We are currently assembling a 911R Replica for Historic Racing and I have just managed to find an Marelli Twin Plug dizzy which needs some restoration.

I will need to run the distributor with the original points fitted which will probably be difficult to source and I also need to find some details of the ignition system.

The only information that I currently have is that 911Rs were fitted with a 'semi-transistorised' ignition system.

I guess that this means a points triggered system.

Does anyone have any detials that they could help with?

I had hoped that the system used was a early CD type unit.

Thanks for any input.

911R ignition

Hi Cris,
    As Bill Meyer pointed out the thread that talks about the 911R system has a link for the company that has the racing CD system as used in the R, 904, 906, 908, and 910 it's located at www.lenzmotorentechnikusa.com/LenzTSZ and the wiring diagram for the 911R is at www.pbase.com/911r/image/24220608/original this was in a thread on "pull switches for twin plug ignition" by 911scfanatic. hope this helps. ernie
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

911r Ignition

Thanks for the help I have e-mailed the guys in Germany and asked for Price/availability of the Bosch units.

This may not be related, but:

I remember seeing Delta Mark 10 ign. boxes installed on some vintage 911s (Stephen Child's S/T?). How widespread were these used in factory cars, if ever?

Sherwood

According to records, Shorty had a Mark 10 installed in 1969. It was still in the car when I took over its care and feeding. It has since gone to a greater reward and the firewall awaits another one which I have. It needs it too as the plugs have a tendency to load up a bit around town. Otherwise it's fine.

Tom

I've got to ask the question. Do these Delta ign. units have any historic value?

Sherwood

They were what was available from the aftermarket at the time. The only reason I have a new one is that my car is documented to have had one installed in it when it was a few years old.
    I'm pretty sure I'd be just as happy with a 3 pin Bosch unit or MSD. The MSD is just a little "racy" looking and doesn't fit into the over all look of the engine compartment. The "look at me" RED doesn't work.
    I'm betting money that someone can rebuild a Delta to better than new if you really want one.

Tom

Tom,
    The reason I ask is because I had one on my car for a few years before the car went up on blocks for long term storage many years ago.

I still have it in case anyone is interested in a "period correct" aftermarket ignition.

Sherwood
    http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars

Good on you, Sherwood.

Here's the place that is supposed to be able to fix any of the Bosch units.

http://www.systemsc.com/

Best regards,

Tom