Thread: Seat firewall package tray replacement?

Seat firewall package tray replacement?

Hello. Iam getting ready to do a packsge tray and firewall replacement in a 70 911. Here are my questions. First I understand that pre 71 and 72 on use diffrent stampings? Can anybody tell me the diffrences. Is it just the reinforcement stampings or they compleatly diffrent? Will the later years work? Thanx.
    Regards Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

They are different, but the hinges are in the same place and the dimentions are the same. A big difference is the side to side seam line and shape at the bend. They use different tray panels. Your 70 panel won't fit well even if you weld on the mounting tabs. Lastly, the fore/aft ribbing is not present on the 72> making joining the pieces tough.

I cut a 71 about 4 inches above the trans hump and flanged the new piece to the firewall of the car being fixed. You can't see the repair from the engine side if the schutz is used. Looks like a butt joint, bit it's better and stronger. I don't think I would have done this if using the later panel.

This is long tedious job. I don't look forward to the next one. Figure 20 hours if you know what you are doing outside of the mechanical work you have to do. The motor should be out or you will really struggle. Also figure on making new side flanges for the new piece. They just don't cut out very well and a new L shape along the contours of each side makes the job go much easier.

Similar Threads

1. Package tray cover material...'73 RS.
    By Flat Six, inc. in forum General Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
  2. WTB: LWB Package Tray
    By SKWIKY67 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 10:07 PM
  3. FS: Rear Package Shelf / Tray 73?
    By 76911S in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
  4. FS: SWB Horse Hair Package Tray
    By mrbmw2002 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM
  5. Parcel tray-package tray, what do you call it?
    By Zeke in forum General Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 05:33 PM