Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What screw do I need for the mirror??

What screw do I need for the mirror??

In my 73 Targa, the rear view mirror vibrates an awful lot. I have taken it apart - unscrewing it from the brack that is glued onto the windshield. I noticed that not only doesn't it screw in all the way - you know - tight, but it seems that the thread on the screw doesn't match the thread on the bracket.

Maybe it is a metric/standard thing, but can someone tell me the right screw that I should be looking for?

Does someone have an extra that they can toss in an envelope to send my way in exchange for . . . . . ??? I am willing to pay for the screw. I won't . . . . uh . . . . screw you.

TIA

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Hi Larry,

The part number is 900.014.098.10. Stoddard has them listed but out of stock for 42 cents. I will be up there next week for the swap meet. I can order one for you, pick it up and mail it to you if you like, but it will be a couple of weeks by the time you would get it. Just let me know.
    The part manual lists it as a M2.6x15 pan head screw. I needed one too and went to my local fastener store and picked one up. I had to cut it to fit as it was long. I got a bolt that was the same size and ran it up the threads before I cut it and then took it off to clean the threads. I am going to get the right one eventually. Hopefully someone didn't force the wrong fastener into the threads on your car.
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)

So Larry...

How's Kermit? Any recent pics?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Hi Larry,

The part number is 900.014.098.10. . . . Hopefully someone didn't force the wrong fastener into the threads on your car.
    And, hopefully, I wasn't the one to force the wrong fastener into the threads. I guess that time will tell. Yes, if you can, please pick up the screw for me, and I will work out the investment details later.

Peter: Nope, haven't done much picture taking this year yet. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a job search, and it has reduced my time spent with Kermit to a whimper. We did do a TSD rallye several weeks ago. Came in a distant last. Our point score was 2700. The closest to us was 2300, and the winner posted a 350. I'll blame it on the navigator . . . easily done, since she doesn't read this message board.

I hope to get him ready for a concours in a couple of weeks. If I get that done, I will post some pix. Thanks for your interest.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Hi again Larry,

I just talked to Stoddard. They no longer carry that screw. He referred me to a place locally that is actually on my way home from work. I will try them and if I can get you one I will. I will keep my eyes open at their swap meet as well in a week.
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    And, hopefully, I wasn't the one to force the wrong fastener into the threads. I guess that time will tell. Yes, if you can, please pick up the screw for me, and I will work out the investment details later.

Peter: Nope, haven't done much picture taking this year yet. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a job search, and it has reduced my time spent with Kermit to a whimper. We did do a TSD rallye several weeks ago. Came in a distant last. Our point score was 2700. The closest to us was 2300, and the winner posted a 350. I'll blame it on the navigator . . . easily done, since she doesn't read this message board.

I hope to get him ready for a concours in a couple of weeks. If I get that done, I will post some pix. Thanks for your interest.

larry
    Larry,

Long time, no hear. Hope job search is going ok. I know how tough they can be when you are older. I have had to do several "forced" job searches in the last 15 years and if I can help......

I was hoping you would be out to Portland for Parade this year. If you are, be sure to look me up.

As far as TSD Rally, remeber the fun is in the trip. Did you not read the Surgeon Generalwarning on the cover page? (Warning! Participating in a TSD Rally with your significant other can lead to death, excommunication, and worse).
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    Larry,

Long time, no hear. Hope job search is going ok. I know how tough they can be when you are older. I have had to do several "forced" job searches in the last 15 years and if I can help......

I was hoping you would be out to Portland for Parade this year. If you are, be sure to look me up.

As far as TSD Rally, remeber the fun is in the trip. Did you not read the Surgeon Generalwarning on the cover page? (Warning! Participating in a TSD Rally with your significant other can lead to death, excommunication, and worse).
    Harry: The search is going OK, I am just getting into the thick of it. I have good thoughts.

My hope was to take Kermit out west for Parade to meet with you and the other guys that I have made acquaintance with over the past few years. Unfortunately that wasn't in the cards. But, as an interesting sidelight, Judy has agreed to a trip out west in Kermit sometime in the future. So, I will take that trip some summer, by the Northern route, and then come down along the coast. Should be a great trip.

And yes, I know that Surgeon General's warning. You gotta have a strong marriange to survive TSD.

"What was the name of that street we just passed" "I don't know, I thought that you were looking" " I wasn't, it was your job" "I was trying to read the next instruction. Did you change your CAST to 35" "I thought that you wanted me to add 10% to the listed CAST." "Yes, but you were going to fast on the last leg, I told you to slow down." . . . . . . . . and that was the
    friendly leg

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by Aircool
    Hi Larry,

The part manual lists it as a M2.6x15 pan head screw. I needed one too and went to my local fastener store and picked one up. I had to cut it to fit as it was long.
    I spent a morning running around to hardware stores, Grainger Parts, auto parts stores, Porsche dealer near me. All strike outs. Here's the gist. The standard size for a screw of this type is M2.5x12 or M2.5x20. The M2.6 is a wierd diameter. I don't know if I could use a M2.5 in the hole, but I expect that the threads are the same. The difference in length I can cut off, just as you did.

The dealer told me that Porsche has discontinued all parts in the older cars that they don't sell a bunch of.

That's my story for today. I was even going to buy two of them and send one your way. Couldn't even find one of them.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,
    McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) lists M2.6 pan head screws on page 2911 of their catalog. They have them in 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 25 mm lengths so you would need to cut a 25 down to the correct length. Cost? $9.23 for 100 of them... An industrial fastener suppleir in Chicago should stock them as well. Try a place like Fastenal or look in the phone book for fasteners and calla round.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry:

With a little experience, I could become the new supplier of a discontinued part. A couple of nuts to clean the threads, and a sharp hacksaw . . . . . . sell them for $.25 plus shipping, and after selling a few thousand, I should have enough money to take Judy out for lunch!!!!

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC