Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still looking for my E....

Still looking for my E....

Still looking for a nice driver E with no stories.

Bueller....Bueller.....Bueller.................... ..........

Thanks,

Erik

btw, does anybody else find it hard to get pics outta people? i only ask if i want to seriously consider the car and am not just collecting pics. pretty crazy how tough this is.

Erik, what was the story with this one, a few months back, on Pelican?
    It was also the subject of a magazine article ...

Other thing is that, if you are in it for the long haul... we are already June ...
    even if you bought one tomorrow, you probably would not see it anyway until July. You have already missed some of the summer .. point is ... waiting a few more months won't kill you?
    If you wait until Oct-Dec, there are probably people who are selling after one last summer ...
    Just a thought or two ...

Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

the car you mentioned is the wrong color (red) and after reading the magazine article there are too many things i'd want to change right away (air vent from a '70s benz in the clock hole?!) so it just wouldn't be a good buy for me. i realize i can't do everything right away but the less on my 'future' list the better.

i am definitely waiting for the right car. these things are waaaay too expensive to buy the wrong car just too have one now. i am considering SC's and Carrera's as well ( ) if the right deal presents itself but it is certainly NOT at the top of my list. I drove an '86 at a stealership in Newark DE the other day and while i loved the immediate starting i did not love how heavy the stearing was. I definitely want light and quick vs. heavy and brutally fast.

The more cars I see/ride/drive the more excited i get about owning a good example (i'm getting pickier as well).

Thanks again for your input Karl, i appreciate it!

Reading this worries me a little bit.

I've mostly lurked here for some time and have put together a punchlist of attributes (year range, drivetrain, acceptable colors) and options/upgrades/modifications (e.g. SSIs/tensioners, lighting, suspension) that I'd want in an early 911. Thing is I know it'll be at least a year before I can even consider moving on a car. Do I make my wishes known now, and risk gaining a reputation as a tire kicker should the right car come my way before I can move on it? Or is it better to make them known such that someone can keep you in mind when that right car comes available in the future?

Please, berettafan, by no means am I implying that you are kicking tires. I understand from experience that, unless you are willing to take on a project and build a car that's perfect for you, there will be some compromises made in the initial purchase.

Eric,

A very "Sweet E"!!
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

teenchy,

i hear you loud and clear buddy! i am a bit worried about getting such a rep as well (especially amongst the smallish fraternity of early 911 owners). in my case i am ready to go money wise. I do have a limit and it's a no b.s. limit that i'm not going to go over either. For the right car i will get on a plane, pay for ppi, etc. if i think a car is priced too far over my limit (ie beyond probable negotiation range) then i'm not going to ask for info, pics etc. If the price is within a certain range of my limit i may preface my interest with 'my limit is this and if that is a possibility i'd love to hear more'. That being said i will not put a seller through tons of emails and picture sending if i am not willing to get on a plane and hand the guy money if the car pans out. So in your case i'd say hold out until you're ready to jump. as tough as it is to find the right car i have to think it would REALLY suck big time to find the right car and not have money ready for it.

Dale, you know what i think of your car (we've emailed recently; bergeycpa.com)... just say the word and i'm there

here's my 2 x 2c worth:

1. "Do I make my wishes known now"

if you're not in a postion to buy i wouldn't contact any sellers. i've recently sold a kremer 930 and was continually frustrated by people that would make contact, start negotiating and then much later mention that they are waiting for some 'event' to occur to place them in funds (eg. selling a car, a house, a business, divorce settlement, inheritance etc). most were never really in a position to purchase. when you've been around these cars for a long time its easy to forget how aspirational they are to some people.

2. "btw, does anybody else find it hard to get pics outta people?"

i lost track of the requests for pics/specs i received. this went on for months until the FIRST guy that turned up for a test DRIVE, bought the car and drove off smiling from ear to ear. i now believe very few people will buy a car sight unseen from pics.

the next time i sell a car i will have a small selection of basic pics available - but will not waste my time complying with repeated requests for this pic and that pic. most serious buyers will simply book a cheap flight and inspect in person.

alternatively, if you intend to purchase a car sight unseen then just build the risk into your buy price. i recently imported a car from another country (an E as it turns out) based on pics alone because i thought it was priced cheaply enough to cover anything i may have missed in the pics. it arrived a few weeks ago and is fantastic:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=10556

good luck with your search. however, these are old cars and, unless you are prepared to pay for the premium end of the market, they will all need some work. (Replacing a clock in a vent hole is a 2 minute/$5 job)
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Angry Tire Kickers!

Quote Originally Posted by obrut

2. "btw, does anybody else find it hard to get pics outta people?"

i lost track of the requests for pics/specs i received.
    the next time i sell a car i will have a small selection of basic pics available - but will not waste my time complying with repeated requests for this pic and that pic. most serious buyers will simply book a cheap flight and inspect in person.
    I recently sold 3 cars. One was a 2004 GT3. I could NOT BELIEVE how many 'tire kicker/picture collectors' asked for Pictures. HEY! IT'S A NEW CAR! Go see pics on PCA site!! I had literally HUNDRED'S of emails requesting pictures of my 2 older cars. Finally, I settled on THIS policy regarding advertising and selling cars: If somebody asked for pictures, I told them it required a $500 deposit. That was the end of THAT BS. All 3 cars were purchased via PPI and in person inspection and pick up.

Everybody is 'chasing the deal' and very few are 'chasing the CAR itself! Barretafan - what is your set dollar amount? Are you SURE it's realistic???
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I Offered A 1973 E Sunroof With Original Paint And You Didnt Like The Color IVORY!

These Are Very Rare Cars And If You Are Limited By Color And If You Are Still Searching For The Absolute Perfect Car Good Luck.. I have both an IVORY and a GREEN METALLIC 1973 "E"

I also Completely Agree With Obrut And 69sman...

If I Had A Dime For Every Time Someone Told Me That They Were Looking For A Certain Car At A Specific Price, Then When I Call Them The Same Day To Say I Found Exactly What They Asked For At Thousands Of $$$ Less Then What They Wanted To Spend...

I Hear... " Thats Great!!... " Let Me Think About It" Or " I Have To Ask My Wife, Grandmother, Priest Etc"

Some Of These Guys Are Crazy They Will Drive For Hours To Look At Every Car That Comes Up For Sale And 3 Years Later After They Have Looked At 25 Near Perfect Cars But Never Bought One... Then They Will Say I Could Have Bought A Car In Much Better Condition For Less.. Well Why Didnt You??

HOW ABOUT THIS 1973 911 E?
    Attached Images Attached Images

well back to my original post; i'm looking for an E. I will not go past the teens in price. I do not expect a perfect car. I obviously want the best car i can get for my money. i do realize many of you get sick of picture collectors and i do understand. however it's not like i'm looking to buy a used VCR and am bothering you for pics of the reverse button

pictures speak volumes on the condition of a car as well as the equipment etc. the more for sale ads i read the more i see that one guys 4 is another guys 9.

color is an awfully big deal to me and i know it is to a lot of you as well. just say 'viper green' in this crowd and 1/3 of you grab kleenex and lotion and head for the bathroom (i like it a lot myself). a good paint job, per most on these boards, is a very very expensive proposition. on par with a diy rebuild to RS spec. Well guess which i'd rather spend my cash on if i had a choice? therefore i'd much rather start with the right color.

exec, i can't help what others have done when you've found them the car they spec'd. i can tell you i will be on a plane with money in hand within a week or two pending family commitments. i believe you are thinking of 'sodly' in regards to the ivory E.

obrut, the vent was one small item. there are other issues in my case that make it the wrong car for me. i do revisit the ad often but it just doesn't grab me.

'69S the car is what i'm after, not a deal or a profit. i am simply trying to make a smart purchase decision. if i must i will wait until the right car comes up be it 4 years from now or 5 months. i believe my price is reasonable for what i want. it's just a tough combo to come up with.