Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a RS conversion on a '71 911S, will it devalue the car?

Contemplating a RS conversion on a '71 911S, will it devalue the car?

I'm in the midst of restoring my 1971 911S that is about as original as you can get, Bahia red, Recaro sports seats, etc. I bought the car 17 years ago from the original owner, and it came with an alloy engine lid (was that an option or standard?). The car had suffered from some light rust through in all the usual places, outer rockers, fender support, door latch jamb, rocker supports. Otherwise, the floors, inner rockers, and everything else is solid. The galvinizing on the floors and the wurth undercoating seemed to have worked for that year. All the panels that I am replacing are OEM if available.

In the process, I took off the alloy engine lid to strip and prime and replaced it with a 72/73 RS Duck tail that I had kicking around the basement for several decades (Yeah, I tend to accumulate alot of junk) just to cover the engine. But for some strange reason, it's growing on me. Additionally, I found both versions of the matching bumpers, with and without oil cooler. I did say I collected alot of junk didn't I? Well anyway, Outside of the rear bumper and steel SC flairs, which I could easily get, I am getting the urge of building this into a RS clone save the drivetrain which will remain original. Stupid?

Obviously, I had accumulated these parts in hopes of one day building a RS, or else I just like buying 911 stuff, some of this stuff had to have been in my basement for decades. If the car was not so original or was a T or E, I would have no hesitation. But this S may be just a little too nice to butcher up. And the alloy trunk lid is just too cool not to have on the car. BTW, I also found a new alloy rear license panel that goes between the rear bumperettes that I didn't even knew I had. Must had bought it with a pile of other parts at a swap meet. Anyone know what car this belongs to? I checked my S and it has a steel one.

For anyone who is interested, I'm documenting my resoration on my web site at www.TheLolaRegistry.com under "Project cars". Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on the red 911S to see my progress. Thanks Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Wow, you have a beautiful "S". Personally, I would NOT convert it into an RS look. Your car is so pure and is the essence of the marque.

IMHO....If you want an RS Look 911.....get ahold of a T or E that's a little long in the tooth and use that as the base for your project.

Unmolested early "S" examples are getting harder to find every day....keep yours that way

As always, just my .02

cheers!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Its your car so do what you will with it no matter what anyone says. As far as value goes, having owned the car for so long, you've got plenty of equity in it. If you do look at the car as an investment then don't change it.

In my mind these cars are for personal enjoyment. If turning your car into an RS clone is what makes you happy and gives you a smile every time you look in the driveway at it. Then do it. The only thing I'd recommend is to try and get real deal RS flares. And Bahia red with yellow script would look wicked!
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

The Value In Most Early 911s Is Their Originality..

You asked so....

IMHO

Your 911S is very rare and looks good.. ... bolt on parts are OK but flairs may be a step backwards?? I am guilty in the past of adding flairs but have changed my position as the S cars get nearly impossible to find.. Keep Your S Original..

BTW ... The Tail In The Photo Is A 1975 Flat Whale Tail Not An 73/74 RS Duck Tail..

Build a RS clone from a 911T they seem to be alot more of them around... Soon even the 911T will be a very collectible car...

Just wait and see...

My car is a '69S which was converted years ago to RS flares (but no ducktail). Would I have done it myself if the car were bone stock? No. Am I going to convert it back? I had thought about it, but now I say firmly NO. I like the sexy look of the rear flares alot. That said, I wouldn't put a ducktail on your car. It is an 'S' not an RS. It is special on its own. An S with flares and no tail looks SWEET! I do think flares have some effect on value, but I am confident a number one rated 'S' that is 100% correct, albeit with flares would be worth every penny of an identical car with stock arches. Here's mine:
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Wow

Execmalibu Yes, the photo was when I got it back from a friend who bought and used it for a year, and it is a faux carrera tail. Good eye. Tailk about garrish. And I would never have put that one on, what was he thinking? But I do have an OEM Carrera tail in the baesment if anyone wants it. I think I have the wiper motor and arm as well in Guards Red. Kenikh, WOW, nice flairs! Now that's what I'm talking about. Are they steel or fiberglass? And is your engine lid and license panel alloy as well? What's killing me is that this car is too original. Same reason I didn't do flairs on my 74 914 2.0. But I do like the flairs. Any other thoughts? Thanks Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

My car is a '69, which came with steel, not aluminum rear deck and plate panel. My flares are indeed steel, but the rear bumper is glass. I have considered going to steel bumpers, but they are heavy.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Baby Got Back...

Here's another rear end pic to get you excited...

RS Flares and indeed a bump to 2.7 (done correctly!) are a period correct modification that enhances the car. I'd agree that for resale RS flares aren't going to make or break it unless its a 100 point concours car the buyer is looking for. An RS conversion will for sure make a difference.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

The one guaranteed way to decrease value of an early mag case 'S' is to bump to 2.7L. The '73 was a different beast with a 7R case; it could take the abuse. The 1R/2R case on your car can't take it. You'd have a paperweight in 50K miles becuase the early mag cases can't take the thin margins on the spigots. That's why I am building my 2.0 as a 2.0, although with some tricks up its sleeve.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

IMHO

Don't do it, return your car to as original as possible. If you want an RS clone, buy a T.

Vey original S's are getting very hard to find, preserve it.
    Henry