Thread: Service parts kit 1973?

Service parts kit 1973?

Is this service parts kit "easy" to get hold of? Was this possible to buy for your car from Porsche or was it standard?

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Let me know if you want to sell that travel kit? JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

Hi Gymmoe

Its not mine to sell, sorry !!! Just wondered what it was....

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

John,

As you have already heard, it's called a "travel kit". Has a few of the most required spares in case of breakdown. I guess the idea was that if you lived far away from a dealer you could have a local mechanic do "some" of the work with these parts....or you could do it yourself in the shade of the tree where you broke down at

The kits are pretty rare, a few were available from a couple of the usual swap meet parts vendors in SoCal area up until about 3 years ago. Once they sold the stock they had, there simply haven't been any others around that I have seen, save for the very rare occasion when one shows up on Ebay.

They were available by year and model, so you could get the correct items for your car (spark plugs, points, MFI belt etc) in the kit. They seemed to vary by year as to the color and the type of fabric. I've got one in blue vinyl, one in lightweight gray vinyl, and another in a heavyweight gray vinyl.

regards,
    Eric

When I bought my 73T MFI coupe in 1996, the travel kit was included with the car but the regular tool kit was long gone. Go figure.

The capitalist roader
    73 T now with 2.7 MFI and 73 S with sporto.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caproader
    When I bought my 73T MFI coupe in 1996, the travel kit was included with the car but the regular tool kit was long gone. Go figure.
    When I got my '65, the travel kit bag was masquerading as a tool kit (minus most tools) and the tool kit was missing.

I think you can get reproduction bags, although the sources aren't too obvious. The parts are available (around $ 400 worth), but the original little plastic bags and cardboard boxes that held individual parts are a big challenge.

The contents for a travel kit are listed in my parts manual.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet