Thread: 1971 Shift Rod Guide Bracket Mount

1971 Shift Rod Guide Bracket Mount

I'm de-installing an aftermarket short shift kit and reinstalling the OEM shift rod on my 1971 with the 911 transmission and dog leg shift pattern. Can anyone tell me whether the shift rod guide bracket that holds the guide bushing mount on top of or under the floor pan sheet metal? The manuals look like it is on top just under the gearshift base, but is was in the hole under the floor pan with the short shift kit.

Thanks as always...

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Is this what you need to know?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Guide Bracket

Thanks Bob, that's what I'm working with. When installed, is the bracket with the circular bushing

1) dissassembled from the base and slid into the tunnel and then bolted back up to the base through the bolt holes in the tunnel, or

2) installed attached to the base like yours and then the whole assembly bolted to the tunnel?

Seems to me like #1 is more likely, as that way the base would mount more flush to the tunnel. I have first installed it like #2 because that's the way it looks in the factory service manual, but the more I tighten the mounting bolts the less I can move the shift rod to the point of almost no movement at fully tightened.

Thanks - BTW, I thought my assembly was in great shape until your picture - that's a work of art.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

I am quite sure that #1 is correct it is the reverse of how I removed mine. I am however only an expert at disassembling my car. The assembly is a few months away

Thanks for noticing my shift assy. It was a tasty little project to replate, chrome and paint all the parts....
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.