Thread: Charcoal Fume Filtre ;Necessary or Not?

Charcoal Fume Filtre ;Necessary or Not?

My charcoal fume filter is rusted through in spots, and leaking charcoal pieces. Can I just delete this piece and join the tubes to-gether or just let the tubes hang below the trunk comparment and leave them unattached? or is there another alternative? I believe this filter was on USA cars only, and not European cars; If so ,how were the breather tubes hooked up on these European cars?
    Aziz ; VARIOUS PORSHAS

Don't know about the European cars, but the 2 big tubes are attached to the fan shroud and air box respectively to "air out" the cansiter. The small tube is the one carrying gas vapors and that is the one you'd need to attend to. That one comes in from the plastic vessel in the front fender. I think the system is designed to create a very small vacuum at the small hose.

A long time ago I took the charcoal canister out, put it in the garage and then used a plastic fitting to merge the two lines together so that it became a giant loop back system. After a while with no problems, I took the whole works out, pluged the hole at the engine shroud and the air filter cover and slid everything into a nice box in the garage. So far, no problems with any of the three cars. Sure stopped all the junk from collecting on top of the plastic canister behind the headlight.

The capitalist roader
    73.5 Targa, 73 T coupe with mfi 2.7 and 73 Sporto S Coupe

Similar Threads

1. Paint fume headaches
    By ebrand in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 03:49 AM
  2. Wtb: Charcoal filter box
    By Dave Pugh in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM
  3. Charcoal filter