Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3

1970 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3

Not a Porsche but a Porsche eater back in the day.

I've just decided to sell this car and thought this may be a good place to start. I know some of you guys will appreciate this fine vehicle. As many of you probably know this was the original AMG car and the fastest production saloon car of the day. 300 odd horsepower and more importantly 400 plus ft/lbs torque. Zero to sixty in 6.5 secs. It was Germany's answer to the muscle car.

My Dad tells a story of how he was running at 120mph up the M1 (in the UK before speed limits) in his E Type and one of these came up in his mirror flashed him, he moved over and it then left him standing.

Quick rundown:

1970 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3
    Color: Dark Grey exterior/Black leather interior.
    Miles 150k.
    Comprehensive service history. Motor fully rebuilt around 125k miles. Repaint approx 7 years ago. Paint is a 7.5/8. Interior is good except seats need recovering due to cracking. I was about to do it.

Mechanics:

The big one: Full suspension overhaul including airbags etc about 1000 miles/8 months ago at a cost of $4500. Rides and tracks perfectly and as can be expected no leakdown from the bags. Motor is strong--pulls like a train. No strange noises etc.

Car maintained at LA Meister the last 7 or 8 years from about 125k miles. Log book shows services until 115k miles or so.

The Story:

Supposedly this car belonged to members of the Heinz family from new. An aquaintance bought it from them shortly after they'd done a cosmetic refresh in the mid 90s. He did a full mechanical refresh including motor rebuild. My best friend (and a recent new board member here PZuck) bought if from him and ran it as a second car for the last 7 or 8 years maintaining it thoroughly. I took it off his hands about 8 months ago.

The car is a rock solid driver. It looks fantastic at 6 feet, paint and chrome is all really good. Only thing it needs is the aforementioned seat cushions and underhood needs a detail. All the expensive stuff is done.

I have too many cars and don't have time or room for it. I'd love to keep it. A 73 911S and a 6.3 are the dream team of the day, but I just picked up another early 911 that I'm setting up as a hot rod so the 6.3 has got to go.

Like I said, just decided to sell it last night so will take and distribute pics to those interested in the next day.

I'm looking to get around $13.5k. Motor Trend Classic recently valued "a good driver" at $15-$20k. Car is in Hollywood.

Figured their may be someone here who would see this as a good compliment to their early 911.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

What a great model. You guys make me want to buy a new house to garage all of the great cars that come up for sale here.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Sounds like a beautiful car Steve. Would love to see some pics.
    It retailed for somewhere around $14,500 or so at the time I think, which was no chump change BITD. Funny how it is selling for roughly the same 36 years later, even if the numbers are not directly comparable.
    Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

wow, i understand the motor work on those cars isn't small potatoes either!

as bobby smith likes to say (albeit about his own car) 'Somebody is going to get a great deal here!'

how about some pics just for the heck of it!

I'm going to pull the car out of the garage tonight and take some pics. I'll post them.

Yes, these cars can suck up money but this one has been looked after and money has been regularly spent on it. Other than the seat covers there's no big issues. Its real solid overall. It would be great to keep but at some point there has to be some sanity. I'll let the 911s drive me mad!

I'll get some pics up. I figured you guys would appreciate this one. Hopefully I'll get saved from doing the eBay thing.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

One of the cars on my dream list! Unfortunately, I just got a father's day card from my wife saying "I love you blah, bablah, blah, blah .... just don't buy anymore cars." Looking forward to the pics anyway.

Understand. The wife stepped in here. Originally this is supposedly "her" car. When I broke the news about the new old 911 on the way she put her foot down and told me to sell the Benz. Couldn't really disagree w/ her since it "her" car.

Hey, maybe you could buy it for your wife.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

I'm actually working on a plan where I convince her that my Targa is actually HER car, to make room for another 911 for moi. We'll see.

Steve, you say this is an AMG? Tuned by AMG, or does it have a "normal" 6.3 MB engine?

Could you send higher res pictures to hdavis@avantel.net please

Thanks
    Henry

i wonder if that Heinz family history might not ad considerable value if you can trace it to Kerry's wife.