Thread: Asheville, NC

Question Asheville, NC

We're thinking about moving from FL to the Asheville, NC area sometime in the next couple of years.

Anyone on the board from that area?

Anyone know of any good shops in that area that could help care for my early 911 and my 930?

Many thanks,
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Asheville NC

Frank, it's beautiful and noticeably cooler than here in Atlanta, but the secret is definitely out.

Daron Strub, NICET on this board, lives there and knows all the local early 911contacts including a very good mechanic. Get in touch with him if he doesn't see this.

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    there are a few guys on 912bbs.org who are in asheville. i bet they could tell you the names of a few good shops.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

The fellow that built the engine in my ex-T (911-S conversion) is in Asheville, NC. Bobby Smith has that car now and will tell you that it extremely quick and still running like a scalded rat. No runs, no drips etc.. FWIW, he won a Corvette Challenge at Virginia Beach beating a new ZO6 (505hp). (Those guys hate to give the trophy to a non-Corvette)

It is undoubtedly one of the best engines I've ever had the pleasure to spank.

Tom

Asheville

Frank,

My wife and daughter and I escaped Atlanta and moved here 9 years ago.
    (How time flies!) Actually we live 12 miles north of town in a quiet rural area but in the county. As Bob mentioned, the secret is definately out. Real estate prices have really shot up and developement has not been the kind I want to see. But I will say it is a wonderful place to be. Most everyone in the network of friends we have developed have done as we did, moved here to be in a nice smaller city. The primary industry is tourism which means great restaurants and lots to see and do in the area. Can't say what the future holds but it's worth checking out. Yes I know a good small independent shop that can care for both cars. Call me and I'll give you a little more info.

Daron 828-658-9331

There's a nice cheap waterpark!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Thank you all!

Thanks to everyone for your input, with special thanks to Daron with whom I had a nice visit via phone today.

Who knows...my not so nice T Coupe could wind up having a pristine T Coupe as its neighbor in Asheville? We'll see.

Again, thanks to all!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"