Thread: ST replica

ST replica

hi.
    we are now restoring and will make a ST replica of a 911t 1969.
    Is there anyone who knows the exact with of the rear fenders?
    Is there some one who have copys of FIA papers?
    i have been looking at many others STfotos, and seem like there is some variation on these fenders.

thanks

jan krakevik
    i work with sculptures on wheelshttp://picasaweb.google.com/Jancarfactory

Jan:

I think you will find by looking at old race photos several variations of ST flares, particularly on the rear. One of the reasons is because these were raced by independent teams, and they modified them based on rules/regs and were always trying to get wider tires underneath them.

I understand several people are working on producing ST flares, using "factory flares" as a model. I think there would be a market for them, as there seems to be a lot of interest in building an ST conversion.

The factory used fiber glass front fenders in the beginning (as they did with the R), and later went to metal, so a viable option for the front is to go to GT Racing or others for a FG pair. They are of good quality, as I have used them for an RSR. Or, you can get turbo metal flares which are pretty close to at least the 72 ST front flare.

Getting the right look for the rears will take a good body man to modify either an RS, SC, or turbo flare, depending on how wide you want to go.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe #17
    EarlySReg. #434

Flairs

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FLAIRS ON MY st ON MY PHOTO SITE;KEVIN JEANETTE HAS STATED THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL st FLAIRS FROM THE FACTORY

If you look at the parts manuals for sports purposes,,, early ST flares are steel until 72' when they switched to glass material... not the other way around.. Also, very Early ST rear steel flares have a very unique torsion bar hole,, smaller with a more cone shaped hole... unlike 2.8 RSR which had a much larger hole.
    The front flares have a more rounded lip edge and are the same as for RSR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

According to Lothar Boshen and Jurgen Barth in their 1977 book, The Porsche Book, in describing the 1970 competition 911s offered by the factory..."Parts were available for further lightening and modifications, such as: plastic front cover, plastic front and rear bumpers, front mudguards extensions, aluminum doors..."

For the famous 789kg Waldegaard 911 which won the 70 Monte Carlo Rally, and the 2nd place finisher (a 911), "The front mudguards, doors, covers, bumpers were all glass fibre."

These comments are confirmed by Paul Frere's 911 Story and Starkey's R-RS-RSR for the 1970, and 71 factory competition cars (ST's). None of these books are as specific as to the 72 flares.

I think metal flares were made available as parts or kits for sports purpose applications for customers in general, but the specially built ST's (approx. 30 or so I think in 70-71) used FG flares or complete fenders as on the R.

I suspect teams like Kremer, Toad Hall and many in Europe used one or the other or both, depending on their body repair and preparation practices at the time.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe #17
    Early S Reg. #434

Just to correct my earlier post, the 789 kg 911, the "lightest ever to compete" was driven by Larrousse in the 1970 Monte Carlo Rally to second place behind the "other similar 911" driven by Walegaard.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe #17
    Early911SReg. #434

ST-homologation papers?

thanks for the replys, but iam worry about if we make the car to wide....it should be some homolotation papers state how wide this can be.
    I dont want make a car and its 2 cm to wide when enter som F.I.A events.
    I will post some fotos next week.

thanks
    jan
    i work with sculptures on wheelshttp://picasaweb.google.com/Jancarfactory

ST Fenders

Jan, check with Hank at GT Racing. He is the former owner of the Monte Carlo #2 car. His 9" ST fenders are from this car. Hank sold it to Peter Kitchak.

Check on Peters site, www.ToadHallRacing.com for more photos. Also Look at photos of the orange car when Peter showed the car at Daytona Rennspeed 2.

Bob

Thats Peter and one of his other cars.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Here is a pic of a restoration going on for one of the famous Kremer 72 ST's. This one has probably the widest rear flares of any ST...but maybe not wider than the yellow Toad Hall rears shown recently. The factory version is a little narrower as seen for a 72 at the factory before shipment.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe #17
    EarlySReg. #434
    Attached Images Attached Images