Thread: 1979 Usgp

1979 Usgp

Watkins Glen USGP 1979. My 1st GP. Photos taken minutes after walking in the gate. There was no security whatsoever. So I just walked into the paddock, the garages and part of the hot pit lane! Nobody ever said a word.

Is it me, or is that RF tire on backwards?
    Cool pics!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

It does look backwards doesn't it? BTW: seeing that you're just back from the USGP - what do you think the odds of getting those sorts of shots are today?

It's become ridiculous in the extreme. The cars/drivers/teams are totally insulated from the fans. They even cover the wire fences surrounding the paddock with canvas just to add insult to injury - i.e. "not only aren't we going to let you near the paddock, we're not going to let you pathetic peasants even stand by the fence and look in at our little circus!" Bernie Ecclestone at his best.

I was surprised that a General Admission ticket Sat. was only $20 and a Fosters oil can was only $6!

More from 1979: Bernie would have a friggin stroke -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahhh, to go back in time.
    The more they insulate the teams and drivers from the fans, the more compelled I would be to stay home and watch the highlights on TV.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Curt, stop me if I've told you this story before... . I was at that race too, and on the warm up lap Giles Villeneuve sped up and got a big gap to the cars behind. As he came abreast of where we were standing (on the uphill straight of the boot just before it rejoins the short track) he came to a complete stop and did a huge smoking, snaking, burnout up the hill to the delight of all who witnessed it. I think that he probably did it as much for the crowd as to put heat into the tires just before the grid. Nobody before or since quite like Giles!

You driving down to VA?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Yeah, as I recall he took pole on Saturday by 12 seconds!!! In a downpour of course. The other drivers just stood and watched in amazement.

My car is not going to be ready in time for Tom's get-together! Sounds like a fun weekend, too.

If I remember right Hans Stuck (another car control guy) did really well qualifying that year in the rain too. Or am I thinking of the '77 or '78 race? I think that he actually led for quite a bit of the race in a much slower car.

Too bad that we won't see you at Tom's. WG in Sept??
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

The problem with GP racing today, not many highlights to watch on TV.
    Phil