Thread: Headlight bulb replacement help needed

Headlight bulb replacement help needed

I've got a 73 911 that is new to me so please be patient. The car has what I believe is a H4 headlamp conversion, and the low beam bulb on the passenger side is burnt out. So I thought to myself, self, I should replace it, no problem right?

Well, not exactly. I was trying to unscrew the screws from the chrome headlamp surround to access the bulb, but they appear to be just spinning in place. Is this a case of operator error or is it age related (car not me)?

Thanks in advance.

screws

The screw at 6 oclock is the only one holding the light in. The others are for adjusting the beams.

Good luck, John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Thanks very much.

Where to buy?

OK, not I feel pretty dumb, but I am making progress. I got the bulb out and it wasn't what I'm used to seeing on more recent cars. I live in Atlanta, where can I buy a bulb locally. My eyes aren't what they used to be, even with glasses, but it is a 55w low beam bulb.

Daniel Stern Lighting
    416-766-2327
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

Just go to your local auto supply house (Napa, etc) and ask for an H4, 55 watt bulb. Or do what the above thread was alluding to and go nuts: buy one of Daniel Stern's relay kits and install REAL bulbs (100W+).
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks again for all your help. I was able to remove the assembly and the bulb, which btw was an H1 not H4. Everything is back to normal.