Live and learn as they say. Today my friend and I tried out a solution to a problem that had come about during the restoration of my 67S.

I had my car media blasted and primed as an early step of my restoration. As a result, sand has been emerging throughout the work. At every turn sand creeps out from places unknown. I vacuum alomost daily and use the air hose to blast out every crack and seem I can find. Still, more sand appears.

When working on the hood, sand was working its way out from underneather the hood framing and along the seams. To treat the last remaining grains of sand and to prevent any future issues, my frind and I taped off all the openings and seams on the bottom side of the hood. We were very careful to overlap all the tape joints and to press down all the taped edges. We then poured about 6-8oz. of POR15 into one open hole. The hole was then taped like all the rest. We then tipped and rotated the hood to distribute the POR15 along all the edges and seams of the hood and the framing memebers.

The idea worked pretty well. I will be the first to say that POR15 really does penetrate into the fine cracks and seams. Even with the tightly taped edges, the POR15 worked its way into and through some of the hair line cracks along the framing.

The end result is that the very few grains of sand remaining in these areas is now firmly sealed in POR15 and the rest of the hood framing now has a good coating of rust preventtion in areas that could not by reached otherwise. I don't have to worry about any sand working its way out during finish sanding.

Keep plenty of clean towels and thinner on hand to wipe up the drips and have fun.

Vacuum still in had,
Joe