Thread: '72T Sporto on early911s/eBay

'72T Sporto on early911s/eBay

Following the link http://www.early911s.com/class1.php3 on Aircool's '73E thread, I scrolled down and saw the '72T Sporto coupe ad.

This car sold on eBay not long ago for $11601:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm at a loss to see what was done to the car, besides moving it from Long Island to Northern Virginia, that makes it worth over $1100 more than its last sale price.

Ed

shipping charges
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Am a bit confused by the '3 owner car' comment on the Early911S ad.

Surely its 4 owners now? Actually reading the ad more closely I now count 5 owners.

Unless the current seller is a dealer. Hell once it sells this time it will be on its 4th owner this year!
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Good questions - some answers

It's my car. My web and email address are mentioned in your comments. No one has asked me directly the questions you pose. Here I'll answer them best I can.

I'm a retired State Department officer and I buy and sell the cars as a hobby. I hung out at Northlake Porsche-Audi in Atlanta, GA from the day it was built when I was a sophmore in high school in 1970. I still have catalogs and saleman's business cards from those days. I got the Porsche bug young. I've owned 356's, 912's, 911's and just bought a 930. I love these cars.

As to the 1972 911T Sportomatic Coupe I have for sale, I can easily justify the price I'm asking:

- Risk. I bought it on Ebay sight unseen. It was reasonably close by and the owner answered my questions well. Still it was a risk, it could have been a rust bucket. Turned out to be rust free underneath. Look at the pictures on my web page. Anyone who knows these early 911's knows how rare that is. It is not surprising you know and remember the car from previous sales. There is a limited supply of these cars, especially on the East Coast of the USA.

- Repairs. The belt that drives the mechanical fuel injection pump was in shreds after driving from New York to Viriginia. Although the belt cost less than $20, what would a repair shop have charged at $70 or more an hour to replace it? I pulled the motor and replaced it. At the same time I cleaned the motor and replaced hoses that needed it, changed the plugs, oil and filters too of course. She runs great and the Sporomatic is a blast to shift, totally different.

- I cleaned the car from front to back, inside and out. I did a complete inspection and photographic documentation (some pics not yet on the web page). Made many small electrical repairs to get all the lights to work, parking brake to brake, seats to move fore and aft, etc. etc.

- I offer buyers a complete assessment of the car's condition that is not, in my experience, matched by anybody. I know these early cars pretty well and point out all the areas that could be trouble. If you buy a car from me you will know EXACTLY what you are getting. Any and all questions are answered, any aspect of the car you want a photo of will be supplied. I detail good and bad. This is a luxury I didn't have when I bought it but it is a service I give anyone who buys from me.

- Lastly, I put my reputation and good name on the line when I put in writing what I believe is true about a given car. I open myself up to offhand comment and criticism from the whole world on the internet. Not fun but it's the price you pay for the worldwide exposure.

The buyer gets a better car than I bought, he's knows exactly what he's buying, all for a 10% fee. I think it's worth it.

These early 911 cars are a bargain. They are bargains even if you have to pay in the low teens for a solid car that needs paint but is mechanically sound. Many folks who read this forum are highly skilled and could paint the car to a high standard and make other improvements and have less than $20k in the car but have a great car for the effort. The Europeans are buying these cars up like crazy, their EURO is over 1.25 to the US dollar. They think we are crazy to sell them.

No other collector classic car offers equivalent performance at the prices the early 911's go for. A terrific rust free nice paint 911T can be had for less than $18k and it will go 130mph. Try finding an equal quality Corvette or Jaguar or American muscle car for the same money! They are all over $30k for decent examples.

mschnittker, thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your candor in answering my question (as I know it's often in short supply on the internet) and I hope you're not offended by my asking.

I'm sure this will be the right car for the right person. Good luck with the sale.

Ed

Mschnittker~

Welcome to the board and thanks for the courteous and thorough reply. Totally unnecessary too, I might add!

The bottom line is this is America and it's your car. You are free to ask whatever you want for the car. The market, as always, will be the ultimate arbiter of price. If you make money selling it, then more power to you!

Good luck on the sale. It sounds like you're the ideal enthusiast to buy from.

Wolf
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfturbo
    It sounds like you're the ideal enthusiast to buy from.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100