Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harness bar for 69S

Harness bar for 69S

I am going to launch my motorsport career but want to fit a harness bar without drilling extra holes if possible. Only need a 4 point harness and saw a Weltmeister harness bar from Performance Products that bolts to the B pillar seat belt mounts on each side.

Our Aussie rules state the shoulder starp must be ideally angled 10 degrees down from the shoulder to the attachment point. I assume similar rules stateside.

Anyone know if this bar will do the job or any other ideas please.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Hey Clyde,

Now I know you have left us alone to finish preparations to reopen the workshop...that's why you haven't asked us, right?

Well...I can't let you do this without some sound advice. You have a CAMS manual I would hope. Go and read pp 6-19 and 6-20. A four point harness is classed as Type B in the CAMS manual. In order to mount a 4 point harness (Type B) in compliance with CAMS rules (and for safety and logic purposes) the rear mounting points must be to a substantial part of the vehicle's structure, reinforced as for floor mounts. There is of course more info about floor mounting etc, whether using original seatbelt mounts or not - you need to read and understand the manual. This is not a lot of bureacratic bulldust - this is the rule - to save your spine or neck from terminal injury.

Now this harness bar you have pictured won't cut it with the scrutineers...our experience is that almost any harness bar won't be passed. The belts should be mounted via reinforced plates through the parcel shelf; unless you want us to make you a harness bar that will pass (but it still mounts in the parcel shelf - ask Phil; he bought the last one we had spare...).

Welcome to motorsport! We've spent years doing this stuff...pays to ask the right people.

Give us a call; either Mike or I on our mobiles if you need some help, OK?
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

Read it, rang CAMS, guy knew what I was talking about and said providing angle was OK it would be OK. Should I get that in writing?
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Here's a couple of pics of the harness bar in our 77S...sorry it's looking grubby but we've been a bit busy to give the cars a bath

Bearing in mind this car does already have standard rear seatbelt mounts...but this gives a good indication of what is acceptable by the CAMS scrutineers. This bar is minimally invasive as you can see. It also allows for the correct fitment of a harness and use of the rear seats (important to us with the kids ).

And yes....we make them when asked .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Read it, rang CAMS, guy knew what I was talking about and said providing angle was OK it would be OK. Should I get that in writing?
    Yes - get it in writing. Our experience is that the scrutineers won't accept the harness bar you posted the pic of. It's not mounted in the fashion required. You don't want to turn up at an event and be knocked back on it. Take a photo down to CAMS State Office in Malvern of that harness bar and get them to sign they will accept it. You don't need to play out the argument in the scrutiny bay at an event.

I'll email you with more....
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Rules (a) talk about original seat belt points being OK for production cars but not sure if they mean for harness attachment or harness bar attachment but surely one would mean the other.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Rules (a) talk about original seat belt points being OK for production cars but not sure if they mean for harness attachment or harness bar attachment but surely one would mean the other.
    No...CAMS manuals are a riddle aren't they ! In their attempt to avoid any misinterpretations they manage to cause more confusion...like talking to 'Yoda'! They are talking about the harness mounting points themselves...it's not one and the same.

I'll email you instead of boring everyone else on the board with Aussie rules...or give us a call please instead of making me type everything!
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

type everything.....

Clyde's not the only one listening!!!

Michael
    Michael

I can't....I might offend someone with my personal thoughts about that harness bar !

You can call too....and I'll copy the email I just sent Clyde over to you now...
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    When you make your decision, I've got that harness bar and I'll sell it to you for $100 US. You pay shipping and handling. Good luck.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E