Thread: Suspension Set-up Question

Suspension Set-up Question

I’m currently looking to change my suspension setup to provide higher performance handling. Currently I have front and rear sways, Koni Reds and standard torsion bars, with the car on ‘R’ rubber on 6 & 7's. The plan is to put in stiffer springs and re-valve my shocks to a ‘sports / track’ spec.

Has anyone had any experience in upgrading the shocks on standard springs? I’m thinking of doing this first then following it up with the torsion bars later, but would like to know if there are any potential adverse handling characteristics I’m letting myself in for by going down this path.

Thanks in advance
    Paul W
    1969 911
    Australian Type 901 Register #77

Hi Paul:

As you probably suspect, shock valving must be matched to the spring rates in use so they can do their job properly. For that reason, I've always recommended that people do some planning and make these two upgrades together to prevent one from wasting money by having the job done all over again,......

My best advice is to carefully chose your torsion bar sizes and have whatever shocks you ultimately choose, all valved to match. Bear in mind that Koni's do NOT like to be bottomed, even momentarily. Bilstein's are more forgiving in this regard and more durable.

Hope this helps,
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Hi Steve

Thanks for your feedback. Suspected that the two issues were linked but wasn’t sure. I’ll leave this to when I replace the springs and knock it all over at once. Any suggestions on the thickness of bars I should go to?

Regards,
    Paul W
    1969 911

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your feedback. Suspected that the two issues were linked but wasn’t sure. I’ll leave this to when I replace the springs and knock it all over at once. Any suggestions on the thickness of bars I should go to?

Regards,
    Hi Paul:

LOL,..I'd need a lot more detailed information about your car before I could offer any constructive advice.

Things like vehicle weight, tire size, engine displacement & power, and how you intend to use the car are all considered when choosing spring rates.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Sorry –early Sunday morning here- most of my brain is still asleep, the rest is hung over …

The car is a 69T with rebuilt engine (to 2.4 I believe) – suspension as had all the bushings replaced, turbo tie rods installed 20mm front/ rear sways. Generally the car is very light (to compensate for the driver) no AC / no sunroof / all sound proofing removed. The car is only used for ‘fun’ driving and is turning into a club car, with the intension being that I’ll start tracking it reasonably regularly. Currently running Dunlop R’s 205/50/15 on 6’s on the front 215/50/15 on 7’s on the rear.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Paul W
    1969 911

Paul:

No worries, mate. Thats a common affliction,...

Based on what you told me, I'd use 21mm & 27mm tubular torsion bars and appropriately revalved Bilstein struts and shocks.

Since Bilstein doesn't make a complete strut for the pre-72 cars, you'll need to convert the A-arms and ball joints to the '72-later style to do this. IMHO, its very well worth it for the ability to use Bilstein struts w/raised spindles.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Thanks Steve – great advice. I like idea of the tubular torsion bars and the weight saving they provide. Looks like the shopping list is growing!

Regards
    Paul W
    1969 911